Re: SKOS properties

Quentin Reul wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think it would make sense to have a skos:antonym and it's quite
> appropriate to think of two antonyms as being a special type of
> relations between terms. WordNet, which is probably one of the most
> common general thesaurus, uses antonyms. For example, the antonym of
> "serviceman" is "civilian" but both are related as they both describe a
> person.
>
> As SKOS is still in its development I don't why it wouldn't be possible
> to add this feature to get a better linguistic representation of thesaurus.

The problem is that with every new SKOS construct
we increase the complexity of SKOS and therefore
raise the barrier to its use. So the question is
whether skos:antonym is sufficiently general to be
of use to tip the balance. I tend to agree with
Bernard that for the moment I would opt for the
local-extension approach. I expect the
documentation to contain lots of examples of how
to extend SKOS for typical cases such as antonym.
BTW the fact that antonym is part of WordNet is
not really sufficient for me. There are some 17
relations in WordNet and SKOS will not support all
of them, I assume.

Guus
[co-chair SWD]

--
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Computer Science
T: +31 20 598 7739/7718; F: +31 84 712 1446