Posting style

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 02:42:42PM -0400, Ralph Swick wrote:
> Tom has asked that the email announcing the minutes of
> each meeting have both a summary of the meeting and a
> text copy of the full HTML meeting record. Including the full
> HTML is a convenience for those who want to scan or search
> off-line and also makes it easier to copy excerpts into a reply.

Thank you, Ralph.  In my experience, having both in-line text
within messages (for quoting in replies) and pointers to HTML
files (for browsing) is ideal.

I would like to encourage a posting style along the following
lines:

-- Plain text with hard returns after circa 65 columns (to
   leave room for quoting).  Some of the newer mail clients,
   such as Firefox, use "soft" line-wraps which do not play
   well with ">"-style quotation.

-- When replying, quote only the important parts, interspersing
   comments, mark the end with your name or .signature,
   and delete everything that follows.

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                      baker@sub.uni-goettingen.de
SUB - Goettingen State                            +49-551-39-3883