W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-swd-wg@w3.org > November 2006

meeting record: 2006-11-14 SWD telecon

From: Bernard Horan <Bernard.Horan@sun.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:13:14 +0000
To: public-swd-wg@w3.org
Message-id: <455C39BA.7060301@sun.com>

The [1]record of this week's SemWeb Deployment WG telecon is ready for 
review.
A text copy follows below.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2006/11/14-swd-minutes.html

*  Topics
          1. Admin
          2. Telecon times
          3. SKOS Use Case format
          4. RDF in XHTML
          5. Recipes for Publishing RDF Vocabularies
* Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: all to respond to Alistair's proposal [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2006/11/14-swd-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Ralph to find out more about the RIF Wiki tools [recorded 
in http://www.w3.org/2006/11/14-swd-minutes.html#action04]

[PENDING] ACTION: Alistair give pointers to deployed SKOS systems. 
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/17-swd-minutes.html#action06]
[PENDING] ACTION: Alistair work with the UCR editors to draft questions 
to invite the esw-thes mailing list to contribute to the use cases and 
requirements [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2006/11/07-swd-minutes.html#action10]
[PENDING] ACTION: Daniel to send mail describing his use cases for SKOS 
draft [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-swd-minutes.html#action01]
[PENDING] ACTION: Elisa to keep us posted as SKOS/iso 11179 
compatibility issue evolves [recorded in 
[36]http://www.w3.org/2006/10/31-swd-minutes.html#action07]
[PENDING] ACTION: Jon, Daniel, Antoine figure out their individual roles 
as SKOS Requirements editors [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2006/11/07-swd-minutes.html#action07]

[DONE] ACTION: Alistair propose a format for presenting use cases 
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/11/07-swd-minutes.html#action11]
[DONE] ACTION: Guus cite some examples of other Requirements documents 
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/11/07-swd-minutes.html#action09]
[DONE] ACTION: Ralph consider a tutorial on scribe conventions [recorded 
in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/17-swd-minutes.html#action01]
[DONE] ACTION: Ralph point Jon, Daniel, Antoine at the W3C tech report 
editors materials [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2006/11/07-swd-minutes.html#action08]
[DONE] ACTION: Tom to discuss telecon time with Guus [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2006/10/31-swd-minutes.html#action08]

The next telecon is scheduled for Tuesday, 21 November, 1500 UTC


Bernard

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
SWD WG
14 Nov 2006

Agenda

See also: IRC log, previous 2006-11-07
Attendees

Present
     Antoine Isaac, Guus Schreiber, Tom Baker, Bernard Horan, Ralph 
Swick, Jon Phipps, Alistair Miles, CarlosI, Diego Berreuta
Regrets
     Sean Bechhofer, Daniel Rubin
Chair
     Guus, then Tom
Scribe
     Bernard

Contents

     * Topics
          1. Admin
          2. Telecon times
          3. SKOS Use Case format
          4. RDF in XHTML
          5. Recipes for Publishing RDF Vocabularies
     * Summary of Action Items

Admin

RESOLVED to accept the minutes of the 7 Nov telecon: 
http://www.w3.org/2006/11/07-swd-minutes.html

ACTION: [DONE] Ralph consider a tutorial on scribe conventions [recorded 
in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/17-swd-minutes.html#action01]

<RalphS> Notes on scribing

RalphS: this on on the table of "nearby" links on the WG home page
Telecon times

Guus: this time is convenient for many people including chairs
... despite ovelap with RIF
... so proposes to stay with this time

ACTION: [DONE] Tom to discuss telecon time with Guus [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2006/10/31-swd-minutes.html#action08]

SKOS Use Case format

<RalphS> example SKOS use case

<aliman> 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2006Nov/0019.html 
email suggesting format for skos use cases

ACTION: Elisa to keep us posted as SKOS/iso 11179 compatibility issue 
evolves [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2006/10/31-swd-minutes.html#action07] [CONTINUES]

Guus: asked about progress on 
http://www.w3.org/2006/11/07-swd-minutes.html#action10

Alistair: waiting for concensus on use case format

Guus: taken action on http://www.w3.org/2006/11/07-swd-minutes.html#action09
... waiting for message to appear on mailing list

Jon: questions on Guus' example use cases

Guus: these examples cannot be directly used for SKOS, different use but 
similar
... also look at GoF Patterns book
... asked about action on 
http://www.w3.org/2006/11/07-swd-minutes.html#action07

Antione: looking for more insight on use case format and how to divide 
workload

<RalphS> W3C Tech Report editor's materials

Guus: talking to Chris Welty at ISWC about use of Wiki
... doesn't require document editors to have CVS access
... Chris has good experience with it
... suggest as a way of capturing documentation for the WG

RalphS: Wiki might encourage more contributions
... to find out more information about state of Wiki scripts
... concen about ease of editing wiki pages
... expressed from Tom
... but could use Wiki to collect notes

Jon: which wiki?

<aliman> it's moin moin

<aliman> http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/ RIF wiki

Guus: on the RIF WG home page

<TomB> 1+ Good experience with moinmoin

Guus: suggest we consider it. but try it out first

ACTION: Ralph to find out more about the RIF Wiki tools [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2006/11/14-swd-minutes.html#action04]

Guus: looking for tools to make collaboration for the group easier

<RalphS:> I personally find it very awkward to edit Wiki page

<JonP> +1 to using a wiki for document production if scripts exist to 
convert to doc format

Guus: look at use cases
... and a format to describe them
... referrring to Alistair's posting
... requests clarification of use of Alistair's term "fucntionality"

Alistair: functionality, for example, is search and browse (a 
description of how people can search and browse)

Guus: on vocabularies, expect examples for expressiveness

Alistair: expect to describe vocabulary, including their structural 
characteristics and provide concrrete examples to illustrate all 
features mentioned

Guus: I would be more explicit (e.g. broader, narrower, related)
... and anything outside ISO format should be specified

RalphS: do we assume we should subsume ISO standards?

<aliman> iso 2788 and iso 5964

RalphS: is this a requirement?

<Guus> [i have to leave]

RalphS: if it is a requirements then we should state this as a requirement
... needs discussion on ISO format assumption

TomB: we're not going to be able to resolve this on this call
... propose an addition to requirements template from Alistair

RalphS: suggest editors put forward a list of requriemetns that are 
proposed and accepted

TomB: so, simply, they have an action to start getting requiremetns from 
the email list?

RalphS: sugest Jon & Antione to keep this list

Alistair: I think Guus said I should have another crack at the format
... but we may be able to be more precise and more specific
... Guus seems to want us to talk about ISO formats

RalphS: is the decision about accepting ISO as base requirements 
necessary before Alistair re-does the format
... but these are really separate, So these need to be discussed separately.

Alistair: I heard Guus say we should use the ISO format as a way of 
laying out use cases
... but I tried to be as neutral as possible
... and not tied to any classification schemata
... and presented in a human readable form

RalphS: I strongly endorse that

TomB: I also thought Guus was suggesting that use case describe more 
about the vocabulary
... suggest we discuss for one more week, then come to a decision next week

RalphS: everyone encouraged to provide feedback to Alistair

Alistair: does everyone understand what I've written?

RalphS: we need clarification of ISO format

Bernard: my understanding of Guus' point was that we use the GangOfFour 
patterns and only describe use cases that go beyond those narrower, 
broader, related-to

<TomB> +1 on Bernard's understanding

Alistair: doesn't believe we should take ISO as a starting point

Alistair: taking 2788 as a style would lead to other things that are 
beyond our scope

Alistair: there's an awful lot of flexibility in ISO, not sufficiently 
well-defined

ACTION: all to respond to Alistair's proposal [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2006/11/14-swd-minutes.html#action05]

Bernard: do the existing Working Drafts need some careful review by the WG?
... I suggest that everyone send comments on the existing drafts in mail

Alistair: we could use the issues list to track these comments
... I have been maintaining a public SKOS issues list; I use this to 
track comments

<TomB> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2006Nov/0019.html

<TomB> http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/proposals

RalphS: important that this WG pays attention to these issues
... if Alistair can continue to track the issues

<Zakim> Bern, you wanted to ask about initial documents

Alistair: been putting more energy into looking into requiremetns

TomB: like to propose an action on Alistair to continue maintaining that 
list

RalphS: priority is to capture use cases

Alistair: important to make a connection from issues to requirements

<RalphS> Ralph: we can't close issues without knowing what our use cases are

Alistair: and make requirements explicit
... and I will continue to maintain that list of issues

ACTION: Daniel to send mail describing his use cases for SKOS draft 
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-swd-minutes.html#action01] 
[CONTINUES]

ACTION: Elisa to keep us posted as SKOS/iso 11179 compatibility issue 
evolves [recorded in 
[36]http://www.w3.org/2006/10/31-swd-minutes.html#action07]  [CONTINUES]
RDF in XHTML

TomB: no one on call to discuss
Recipes for Publishing RDF Vocabularies

RalphS: no time to participate

TomB: no one to participate

Ralph: I will have to miss the Nov 28 and Dec 5 telecons due to W3C 
meetings; will be back in the office on December 11

Alistair: also no time. However, there's a discussion on the 
semantic-web@w3.org thread

JonP: useful discussion on the thread

Alistair: a lot of the discussion seems to be igoring the recipes
... so perhaps our work is not widely known
... need to get more input and involvement

<RalphS> Hash URIs and content negotiation (start of thread)

Alistair: so have requested comments

<RalphS> Hash URIs and content negotiation thread

TomB: no editor currently
... close meeting for today
[adjourned]
Received on Friday, 17 November 2006 03:13:49 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:17:26 GMT