Re: [ALL] Basic Principles for Managing an RDF Vocabulary

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 12:41:58PM -0300, Dan Brickley wrote:
> I want to jump right in here and surface an off-list discussion with Tom
> and others, ... it was about the long term management of RDF vocabs.
> Thomas Baker wrote:
> >I have converted the draft we ended up with in May 2005 in
> >the Best Practices WG [1] into a draft on the SWD wiki [2].
> >[2] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/VocabMgtDraft
> > - have externally-confirmed mechanisms in place for long term
> >persistence of some (potentially frozen) version of the vocab and its
> >machine representations (including practicalities such as domain name
> >ownership, wills and other legalities)

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the working group!  In the past eight weeks we have
gotten momentum on the SKOS work, Jon and Diego have signed up
to work on the Recipes, the RDFa discussion has come online,
and we have been wondering what to do next with the Basic
Principles, so your thoughts are well-timed.

The SWD WG charter sets the goal of "A W3C Technical Report...
providing guidelines for authors of RDF schemas and OWL
ontologies on principles of good practice for publishing
such schemas and ontologies including use of namespaces,
change management, and versioning."

On the question of versioning, some relevant documents,
drafts, and blog postings are linked from Section 3.1 of
the Deliverables page [1].  But this is a big topic with
many open research questions.  I'm thinking it might be more
practical to aim, as a first step, simply at finishing the
Basic Principles document as originally planned -- i.e.,
as a short presentation of general principles with pointers
to examples illustrating the principles (FOAF, DC, SKOS, etc).

What do others think?

Tom

[1] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/Deliverables

--