Re: Semantic Bridge Project / Best Practice Recipes for Publishing RDF Vocabularies

Ivan,

Thx again for your guidance and support.

Things are very intense right now, but in a good way.  We have just
completed our grant application to the National Science Foundation for
their support in the creation of the Semantic Ontology Repository.  We
have at least one expression of support from a major corporate player
for the non-profit foundation that will manage the repository; two other
corporations are in an evaluation process (hopefully more will follow).
We have begun the dance with the venture capitalists for investments in
Semantic Bridge Technologies (not a fun process, but perhaps necessary);
ideally, we would like to find a single angel investor.

Like most startups, we are temporarily in a cash flow crunch, so
spending the $6,350 to join the W3C is a few weeks away.  Would it be
possible to join the Semantic Web Deployment Working Group as an
“invited expert” (http://www.w3.org/2004/08/invexp.html) or at least be
able to join the private mailing list for the group?

We are definitely interested in helping this working group answer,
“Questions such as how in practice to use OWL to achieve semantic
integration across different agents, services, and applications; how to
identify multiple versions of a vocabulary; how to manage the contents
of the namespace document(s), and more.”  The document, “First
Principles of Good Practice for Managing RDF Schemas and OWL Ontologies
Working Draft”, is also of great interest.

Beyond the mechanics of managing RDF Schemas and OWL Ontologies, we
envision an Ontology Management Framework that will be a template for an
organic self-regulating system.  The working units of this system will
be collaborative virtual ontology groups.  Parliamentary rules will be
established for resolving disputes within these groups.  There will be a
network of semantic repositories built on this framework; one main
repository that will act as the “central library.”

The creation of a dynamic and interactive, “Semantic Ontology
Repository” network, along with the tools that will allow web designers
and software engineers to easily interact with this network will have a
profound impact on the rapid deployment of the Semantic Web and the
deployment of “Intelligent Web Services”.

There are significant data structure issues that need to be resolved for
an efficient ontology management system to be created. I am surprised
the major players (Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, MySql, etc.) are not
represented in this group.

We recognize the creation of a worldwide ontology management system is a
grandiose vision.  Thankfully, the initial reaction of most people has
been, “Wow, this is really cool!”, and not, “Wow, this is really
stupid.”  If this system is to succeed it must be based on fair and
objective standards.  We look forward to working with the W3C to create
those standards.

Sincerely,

Mike Duffy
CEO / CTO