RE: on documents and terms [was: RE: [WNET] new proposal WN URIs and related issues]

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 14:40 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
[...]
> >If the IETF says http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc822.txt identifies
> >a piece of text, and not a function from time to data, that's
> >not just a statement of policy; we have delegated to them the
> >right to say what the resource _is_. And I don't think they're
> >contradicting any established norms when they say that it
> >identifies one piece of text.
>
> Seems to me that in cases like this we can just agree to identify a
> piece of text with any *constant* function from some domain to that
> piece of text, particularly if the only access anyone can have to the
> function is to call it and get the value of it, i.e. the text,
> delivered as a result.

We could, yes, I suppose.

But I don't think you can attribute even that position to the TAG
based on what the TAG has written.

>  Even mathematicians routinely identify
> constant functions with their values. So whether a web page is
> 'really' a text or is 'really' a constant function from the set of
> times (or whatever) to that text seems to me something we can just
> agree to disagree about, without it mattering.

Quite; the difference isn't observable in any way that I can
think of, let alone any way that the TAG or the IETF or W3C
has said anything about.

>  In fact, even the
> publisher of the text and the reader of the text might disagree about
> this, without it mattering to either of them.
>
> (I think Im agreeing with you here, Dan, right?)

Yes, I think so.

> >>  5. I haven't a clue what utility there would be in calling something an
> >  > "information resource" if that thing is never ever intended to return
> >>  some data in a 2xx response to an HTTP GET.
> >>
> >>  Therefore, by Occam's Razor I conclude:
> >>
> >>	All "information resources" are functions from time to data.
> >
> >Occam's Razor isn't a valid logical inference. It's sometimes appealing,
> >but never compelling. In this case, I don't find it even appealing.
>
> Well, but if I'm right, above, then rather than argue with that
> position, you should quietly roll your eyes and carry on. Because
> *anything* can be seen as a constant function from some domain to it.

Yes, I suppose so.

> In some ontologies for time and action, you and I are functions from
> times to people. I'm OK with that, myself, provided none of my salary
> goes astray.
[...]

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E