RE: on documents and terms [was: RE: [WNET] new proposal WN URIs and related issues]

Hi Mark,

Just to avoid confusion, DanC and I are addressing a little different
issue.  DanC and Pat and I are discussing:

	What is an "information resource"?

Whereas you are talking about the issue:

	Is is okay to use the same URI both as the name of
	a resource and as the name of a Web page that describes
	that resource?  Example: Is it okay for Mark Baker to
	use http://markbaker.ca/ as a name for himself *and*
	for his blog Web page?

> From: Mark Birbeck
>
> > But that is the crucial difference!  Sure, a *single* weather
> > report can
> > be conveyed in a message.   But
> > http://weather.example.com/oaxaca is not
> > merely identifying a *single* weather report issued at 2005-03-12
> > 23:11:36.236 UTC or any other particular time.  It identifies a
> > *function* from time to weather reports.  I don't know any
> > way to transmit "all of [the] essential characteristics"[10]
> > of that particular function in a message or even a finite set
> > of messages.
>
> But a weather report and a web page are two different
> resources. Hence they need two different URIs. . . .

I believe both DanC and I were talking *only* about the Web page, though
we may not have been clear about that.  We are referring to the example
in section 1 of the WebArch ( http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#intro ) in
which the URI http://weather.example.com/oaxaca returns dynamically
generated weather report Web page.

David Booth