Re: sparql for vocab management: theory vs practice

Passes the SPARQLer validator : http://www.sparql.org/validator.html

>> However when I tried to test it SPARQLer told be it would allow dataset
>> building (when I tried to use FROM) and the rasqal demo gave a parse
>> error on the FOAF schema.

> Sparqler (the online demo) won't allow FROM?

Yes, it does.

It does depend on which service you use.  Joseki allows deployment of a SPARQl
service in two ways: one if a general purpose query service, the other is a
service for a single, fixed dataset.

The service <http://www.sparql.org/sparql> accepts any SPARQL query and
expects the dataset description in the protocol or in the query.  I just
tested it.

The service <http://www.sparql.org/books> does not allow it to be specified
and only queries the backing dataset.

There different forms for these : see http://www.sparql.org/

You'll want http://www.sparql.org/sparql.html

I checked by trying this query to verify ARQ attempts content negotiation stuff:

----
PREFIX foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/>
PREFIX rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>

SELECT ?p
FROM <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/>

{ ?p a rdf:Property .
   FILTER regex(str(?p), "name")
}
----

=====>>>>>>

{
   "head": {
     "vars": [ "p" ]
   } ,
   "results": {
     "distinct": false ,
     "ordered": false ,
     "bindings": [
       {
         "p": { "type": "uri" , "value": "http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/givenname" }
       } ,
       {
         "p": { "type": "uri" , "value": "http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name" }
       } ,
       {
         "p": { "type": "uri" , "value": "http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/surname" }
       } ,
       {
         "p": { "type": "uri" , "value": "http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/family_name" }
       }
     ]
   }
}

JSON being useful to avoid line wrap of tables :-)

> Rasqal's at least didn't
> used to, either. Re parse error, maybe ARQ sends a content
> negotiation preference for application/rdf+xml while Redland is stuck
> looking for RDF inside the XHTML FOAF spec?
>
> I tried it on commandline with ARQ, and get:
>
> 	org/apache/oro/text/regex/MalformedPatternException
>
> Do we need to escape those '/' chars somehow? or the ':', the '.'?
> After some quick experiments, it seems not. Hmm. Hmm.

BTW : Old version alert : ARQ does not use ORO now.

> So you can run a regex directly against ?p, without casting it to a
> string? That's handy/grungy...

No - you will need the str() or else get runtime exceptions (causing no
results).  See example above:

You can try out expressions with ARQ with the command line arq.qexpr

arq.qexpr 'regex(<http://example>, "example")'
==>
Exception: REGEX: <http://example> evaluates to <http://example>, which is not
a string.

arq.qexpr 'regex("example", "example")'
==>
true

You can use it as an arbitrary precision calculator (patience helps).
Some namespaces are built in for convenience.

	Andy