RE: [HTML] comments on RDF/A primer

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:40:05 -0500
To: "Miles, AJ (Alistair)" <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>, <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>

Wow!  Good catch Alistair!  I'm embarrassed to have totally overlooked
these URI identity issues when I read it!  My mind must have been
elsewhere.  :(   Anyway . . .

> From: Miles, AJ (Alistair)
> . . . It does not make
> sense for either an XML Literal, or another web page, to be
> the 'entity primarily responsible for making' the web page.
> . . .
> Furthermore, the example . . . suggests the use of the URI of a web
> page as an identifier for the person described by the web page.

Thing-described-by.org provides one easy mechanism for avoiding this
kind of URI clash.  For example, if you have a URI for a Web page
describing Mark Birbeck:
	http://shutr.net/user/markb
by prepending "http://thing-described-by.org?" to the URI, you can
easily create a URI that you can use as an identifier for Mark Birbeck,
the person:
	http://thing-described-by.org?http://shutr.net/user/markb
Dereferencing this latter URI will result in a 303-redirect to the
original Web page that describes him.  Simple!  No servers to configure,
nothing to do.

And if thing-described-by.org is too long for your taste, you can use
t-d-b.org instead, such as:
	http://t-d-b.org?http://shutr.net/user/markb

For more information, see http://thing-described-by.org .

Of course, this is not the only way this problem can be solved, but I
thought it would be relevant to mention it.

David Booth