Re: WNet review

From: Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetilk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 17:36:27 +0100
To: Guus Schreiber <schreiber@cs.vu.nl>
Cc: SWBPD list <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>

Guus,

Thanks for posting!

On Thursday 09 February 2006 16:50, Guus Schreiber wrote:
> There is a revised editor's draft of the "WordNet in RDF/OWL"
> document,

Just a tiny thing in the hash vs. slash discussion:
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wn#107909067-bank-n/

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wn/107909067-bank-n/

I believe it would be customary to not use a trailing slash on the
fragment identifier, so you might find it preferable to use
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wn#107909067-bank-n

I fully support the use of the slash rather than the hash in this
context. But was wondering why you do not use slashes as delimiters
more?

Why not e.g.:
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wn/107909067/bank/n/
or another example, including a wn version:
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wn/2.0/bank/noun/1/

Or perhaps you'd like a single retrievable resource for that term, it
intuitively makes sense to use a fragment identifier for different
meanings, so perhaps reintroduce the hash again:
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wn/2.0/bank/noun#1

Allthough I'm a big fan of decoupling the the URI from the filesystem,
clearly in this case (given that it changes seldom and that there are a
quite high number of terms), it would lend itself quite nice to being
stored in a file system: There has however been OSes that imposes tight
constraints on how many files you can have in a directory. Distributing
the terms into a file hierarchy may therefore ease the serving of the
resources.

Also, I usually think of slashes as delimiters as prettier in URIs...
But that's just aesthetics... :-)

Best,

Kjetil
--