RE: on documents and terms [was: RE: [WNET] new proposal WN URIs and related issues]

> From:  Pat Hayes:
> > From: Frank Manola
> . . .
> >Take the case of an RDF vocabulary referenced by a single URI, say
> >http://example.myvocab.  However, "under the covers" there are
> >really two documents available, http://example.myvocab.rdf and
> >http://example.myvocab.html.  A user may want either the rdf or the
> >html version of the vocabulary, depending on what she/he is trying
> >to do, and the discussion in http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-vocab-pub/
> >shows how you can get the version you want if you ask simply for
> >http://example.myvocab. Now, my understanding is that:
> >
> >a.  There are *three* resources here, http://example.myvocab,
> >http://example.myvocab.rdf, and http://example.myvocab.html.  These
> >are all resources in spite of the fact that http://example.myvocab
> >is in some sense "more abstract" (less of a specific representation)
> >than the other two.
>
> I have trouble here understanding what http://example.myvocab
> actually *is*. If it is a resource, what can possibly be a
> representation-1 of it? Its relationship to the 'real' html and rdf
> resources doesn't seem like that of a resource to representations-1
> of the resource, since the distinction is not one of state at a time,
> but is determined by the request; and representations of them are,
> well, of them, so not of it. So it seems to have no representations-1
> at all. (??)

Well, no.  Two different resources can have the same "representation",
just as two different URIs can identify the same resource.

> . . .
> >c.  *All* of these are "information resources", in that their
> >"essential characteristics can be conveyed in a message".  That is,
> >considered independently, the essential characteristics of
> >http://example.myvocab.rdf can be conveyed in a message, the
> >essential characteristics of http://example.myvocab.html can be
> >conveyed in a message, and presumably the essential characteristics
> >of http://example.myvocab can be conveyed in a message (although
> >what actually gets sent is a representation of one of those other
> >files).
>
> Well, but that is the fatal objection. Neither of these would convey
> all the essential characteristics of http://example.myvocab,
> precisely because it can be either RDF or HTML, but neither of those
> can be the other. Unlike them, it is a chimera.

Excellent point!  Then in some sense, the resource associated with
http://example.myvocab is the union of the resources associated with
http://example.myvocab.rdf and http://example.myvocab.html .

However, the WebArch definition of "information ressource" permits
representations to have "varying degrees of fidelity"[10].  So I suppose
in some sense, when http://example.myvocab is dereferenced and only an
instance of http://example.myvocab.rdf is returned, perhaps that is
considered a low fidelity "representation" of the information resource.

David Booth