[OEP] Revised version of the time ontology and time zone resource notes

From: Feng Pan <pan@ISI.EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:15:26 -0700 (PDT)
To: public-swbp-wg@w3.org
cc: welty@us.ibm.com, Jerry Hobbs <hobbs@ISI.EDU>

Hi all,

A revised version of the time ontology and time zone resource notes is now
available at:

http://www.isi.edu/~pan/SWBP/time-ontology-note/time-ontology-note-2ndEd.html
http://www.isi.edu/~pan/SWBP/time-zone-note/time-zone-note-2ndEd.html

Could someone help to put them in the W3C directory?

We are currently working on a separate document with the full time ontology
represented in Common Logic, which is expected be available in a few days.

We really appreciate the valuable comments we have received on the first draft
of the notes. Here is the summary of the changes we have made:

Changes for the Time Ontology Note

>From Libby Miller:
* Added a table of contents.
* Added "A Use Case for Scheduling" section with OWL code for the meeting
scheduling example described at the beginning of the "Use Case Examples"
section.
* Added a brief explanation of Allen's interval calculus work.
* Added examples to illustrate the mapping between the ontology and iCalendar.
* Updated the credit card expiration date example.
* Replaced GMT with UTC throughout.
* Added titles and/or authors to online references.

>From Jeremy Carroll:
* Removed the parts that use xsd duration datatype.
* Changed <x:y> to x:y in the N3 code.

>From Dan Connolly:
* Changed owl:x "y"^^xsd:z to owl:x y in the N3 code.

>From John McClure:
* Removed the Field suffix.
* Replaced "CalendarClock" by "DateTime".
* Replaced intXXX with intervalXXX.
* Added examples to illustrate how to use the core ontology to define other
useful temporal concepts, such as duration "year" and "January".

Changes for the Time Zone Note

>From Libby Miller:
* Added a table of contents.
* Added titles and/or authors to online references.
* Added a last updated property to the daylight saving policy class.

>From Jeremy Carroll:
* Added a warning, saying that we assume default reasoning is used for this
ontology.
* Changed <x:y> to x:y in the N3 code.

>From Dan Connolly:
* Changed owl:x "y"^^xsd:z to owl:x y in the N3 code.

Comments are very welcome on the new version of the notes.

Thanks!

Feng Pan and Jerry Hobbs

--
Feng Pan, Ph.D. Candidate
USC Information Sciences Institute (ISI)