Re: [ALL/MM] EMMA Last call

+cc: Max Froumentin

Jacco van Ossenbruggen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just bumbed into this and was wondering if this working group has,
> or needs to have, an opinion about the Last Call EMMA draft at
>
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/emma/
>
> The language is described as a language for annotation and metadata.
> Personally, I would have expected it to build on RDF, but it doesn't.
> In fact, the word RDF isn't mentioned at all, while it spends quite
> some sentences on its (rather complicated) relationship with XML. Is
> it reasonable to ask them to clarify the relationship with RDF/OWL too?

I spent some time talking with Max (cc:'d) earlier in the design. RDF
was certainly
considered. My understanding was that the need to attach probabilistic
and other
metadata at a per-property level, made usage of RDF unwieldy (rdf's current
reification vocab is just no practical there). Max, perhaps you could
expand? Is there
a pointer to earlier RDF-ish designs somewhere?

Dan