[WNET] RE: WordNet Conversion

Hi Mark,

I have had a look over this, though not yet in any real detail.  I liked
the suggestion about the relationship to SKOS.

I have a couple of issues to mention, but bear in mind, I'm reloading
old context from a while back - so keep your nonsense detectors turned
on.

1.  How complex a processor do we need to be able to use the resulting
Wordnet representation?

I think there are use cases where what is important is:

  1. the ability to name words and wordsenses
  2. the ability to navigate the Wordnet database - e.g. find synonyms
etc

This can be accomplished without using Owl at all.  Have we other
requirements that do indicate a need for Owl? I'm wondering if we should
invoke the KISS principal.  Folks shouldn't need to understand Owl or
require an Owl processor to be able to use the resulting dataset for the
purposes above.

2.  Naming of things

There are a couple of things here.  With the TAG's guidance on
http-range-14, I presume that we are not free to use '/' characters in
URIs to name abstract things, provided we do an indirect.  This allows
us to consult a word in a Wordnet server without downloading all of
Wordnet.  I also wonder about using '?' to separate the root of the URI
from the concept id part.  This would avoid the redirect, but I've
sneaking suspicion I've forgotten why that is a bad idea.  I also
wondered about using synset id's which change from version to version of
wordnet.

3.  Do we know what other Wordnet's in RDF are out there and how they
differ?

That's it till I reload some more context.

Brian