RE: CURIEs, xmlns and bandwidth

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 14:51 +0100, Misha Wolf wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've had confirmation that xmlns declarations can't be XIncluded.
> As a consequence, the IPTC does not plan to go the xmlns route for
> declaring CURIEs.  If XHTML does decide to use xmlns for CURIE
> declarations, that leaves us with two options:
>
> 1.  Different standards use different declaration mechanisms.
>
> 2.  The IPTC calls it's CURIEs by some other name.
>
> Any comments?

I have lost track of many of the relevant constraints and requirements,
but have you considered a sort of microformat approach, using GRDDL?
i.e.

 start with XHTML 1.x
 choose a profile URI; put it in the head of each of your documents
 at that profile URI, add a profileTransformation link to
  a bit of XSLT that expands your compact syntax to full RDF/XML

By way of precedent, let's look at "Embedded RDF"...

Here's an example document
  http://research.talis.com/2005/erdf/foaf-in-html.html

it uses an XHTML dialect for data that Ian Davis designed.

At the top, it declares that dialect/profile:
  <head profile="http://purl.org/NET/erdf/profile">

If we go to that profile document, we see it has
RDF embedded in such a way as to declare a transformation
of all documents that use this profile...
  <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view">
     <link rel="transformation"
       href="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/glean-profile" />
  <a
        rel="profileTransformation"
        href="http://purl.org/NET/erdf/extract-rdf.xsl">extract-rdf.xsl</a>

The net result is that we can take foaf-in-html.html and
put it into a GRDDL client (e.g. the online GRDDL service
http://www.w3.org/2003/11/rdf-in-xhtml-demo )
and out comes the data from the page in RDF/XML...

   <rdf:Description
rdf:about="http://research.talis.com/2005/erdf/foaf-in-html.html#ian">
       <name xmlns="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/">Ian Davis</name>
       <firstName xmlns="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/">Ian</firstName>
       <surname xmlns="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/">Davis</surname>

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E