Re: [WN] editor's draft WordNet datamodel

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:13:02 +0200
To: Guus Schreiber <schreiber@cs.vu.nl>
Cc: SWBPD list <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>

Guus Schreiber wrote:

> All,
>
> You can find an editor's draft of the "as-is" conversion of WordNet to
> RDF/OWL at:
>
>   http://www.cs.vu.nl/~mark/wn/wn-conversion.html
>
> The document has links to WordNet schema file, the corresponding
> instance files, and the conversion program (from the WN Prolog source
> to RDF/OWL, using SWI-Prolog).
>
> This will be input for the ftf discussions on WN.

Ah, great to see this :)

One point re "Brickley represents the hyponym relationship as a
|rdfs:subClassOf|. This is an attractive interpretation, but we argue
that not all hyponyms can be interpreted in that way."...

I felt licensed to map wordnet hyponym into RDF classes because the
wordnet documentation said that hyponym is only used when two terms fit
into the following template: "A ____ is a kind of ___". While I did find
some cases (in v1.6 at least) where terms didn't seem good as classes,
they also seemed to fail on Wordnet's own internal documentation rules.
I think "Paris" is (or was) an example.

BTW could you also cite http://xmlns.com/2001/08/wordnet/  from the
references -- it is the same piece of work begun in the 1999 post, but
from an new URL that is in use and the page is even occasionally updated...

cheers,

Dan

> Guus
>
> PS Mark has officially joined SWBPD today.

:)