[WN] comments on draft

From: Mark van Assem <mark@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:49:54 +0100
To: public-swbp-wg@w3.org
CC: "Guus Schreiber <guus@few.vu.nl>a >> Guus Schreiber" <guus@few.vu.nl>, Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@istc.cnr.it>

Dear WN reviewers,

Many thanks for the detailed comments on [1].

Unfortunately we haven't been able to respond to all your comments in
detail because of other urgent engagements this week. We will respond
in more detail next week.

Kind regards,

[1] http://www.cs.vu.nl/~mark/wn/wn-conversion.html

Jacco van Ossenbruggen wrote:
> Jacco van Ossenbruggen wrote:
>> Review of http://www.cs.vu.nl/~mark/wn/wn-conversion.html
> In addition to my previous review, one more remark.
> Under open issues, the document now states:
> "One of the issues is whether or not to make the inverse properties
> "visible" to RDFS tools."
> Following an off-list discussion between Mark and Jan Wielemaker, I only
> now understand that this line
> refers to the fact that all reverse triples have been explicitly added
> "to help" RDF-only applications that do
> not understand the owl inverse predicate.  From what I understand from
> Jan, this results in more than
> a million extra triples (!).
> I agree with Jan that these extra triples should be not part of the core
> translation:
> For OWL users,  over 1M of redundant triples is very inconvenient,
> rule-based systems have probably more efficient
> ways to deal with this problem and even many RDF users would probably be
> happy to formulate their query in
> both directions explicitly if this reduces their triple store with more
> than a million triples.
> Another argument against explicitly added inverse triples is that if
> inverse triples are added explicitly,
> the same should be done with transitive triples, which is not the case
> either.
> Of course, I have no objection against providing these triples in a
> separate file as an extra service.
> Thanks to Jan for bringing this up,
> Jacco

  Mark F.J. van Assem - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
        mark@cs.vu.nl - http://www.cs.vu.nl/~mark