RE: [VM] HTTP Cookbook, revised editor's draft

From: Miles, AJ \(Alistair\) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:56:27 -0000
To: "Thomas Baker" <tbaker@tbaker.de>, "David Wood" <dwood@softwarememetics.com>
Cc: <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>

Hi Tom,

> I agree that we can and should recommend that people use time
> stamps (or version numbers) in file and directory names but
> suggest we take the explanation one step further.
>
> I suggest we say somewhere that these time stamps are being
> used as a social convention -- not in the expectation that
> one should be able to extract or infer meaningful date (or
> version) information from a pathname or URI string.

I'd be happy to add this caveat also.

N.B. I had some more thoughts about tightly scoped bite-size chunks for VMTF work, see:

Change Management for RDFS/OWL Ontologies
Part 1. Naming
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/~checkout~/swbp/vm/change-management/part1.html
Part 2. Metadata
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/~checkout~/swbp/vm/change-management/part2.html