RE: [MM] use case

Dear Jacco,

Here is an updated use case. Suzanne will send an example image and the RDF
metadata file shortly.

Kind regards
Jane

Images constitute a primary data source in medicine - originating from
diagnostic technologies (ultrasound, magnetic, fluorographic, radiological),
surgical procedures, pathology (e.g. light and electron microscopy) and
research laboratories.

For example, researchers at the Institute for Molecular Bioscience of the
University of Queensland, are studying 2D cross-sections of pancreatic cells
in oder to try to create a 3D image of a cell that will enhance
understanding of cellular processes [1]. To this end, pancreatic cells are
cut into 400-nm-thick slices and each slice is studied using electron
tomography techniques.

Currently molecular biologists have to manually segment and annotate the
images of these slices by drawing lines around and labelling each cellular
component. Hundreds of these 2D images need to be annotated and then
combined to generate a single, high resolution three-dimensional
reconstruction of a pancreatic cell. The significant cellular components
that need to be identified include: the golgi apparatus, endoplasmatic
reticulum, mitochondria, ribosomes, and different types of vesicles. A new
high-throughput microscope will soon be employed that is capable of
producing even larger numbers of images, heightening the need for automatic
segmentation and annotation.

At DSTC/ITEE, we have developed a novel Rules-By-Example (RBE) [2] approach
that enables semi-automatic annotation of image regions from
automatically-extracted low-level features. The RBE prototype enables
experts to define rules specific to their domain, which map particular
combinations of low-level visual features (colour, texture, shape, size
etc.) to high-level semantic terms defined in their domain ontology. The
system assists users to construct rules such as: IF [(color is like this )
AND (texture is like this ) AND (shape is like this )] THEN (the object is a
ribosome) through a Graphical User Interface that provides palettes of
colours, shape-drawing tools and examples of textures. More specifically we
are employing:

-  the Matlab Image Processing Toolbox to extract low level features which
are then represented using terms defined in an MPEG-7 ontology;
-  the Medical Subject Headings thesaurus (MeSH) for labelling cellular
components;
-  RuleML to represent the semantic inferencing rules that relate
combinations of low-level visual features to cellular components.

The semi-automated semantic annotation of the cross-sectional images of
pancreatic cells, enables rapid reconstruction of 3D cellular models and
sophisticated querying over large image sets, in terms familiar to molecular
biologists. In the long term, such tools are expediting scientists'
understanding of cellular processes, in order to improve drug design.

[1] Molecular Cell Biology at the IMB
http://www.imb.uq.edu.au/index.html?page=12015&pid=11668

[2] S. Little and J. Hunter "Rules-By-Example - a Novel Approach to Semantic
Indexing and Querying of Images" 3rd International Semantic Web Conference
(ISWC2004). Hiroshima, Japan, November 2004.
http://maenad.dstc.edu.au/papers/2005/hollink-kcap05.pdf

[3] L. Hollink, S. Little, and J. Hunter. "Evaluating the Application of
Semantic Inferencing Rules to Image Annotation" Proceedings of the Third
International Conference on Knowledge Capture, KCAP05. Banff, Canada.
October 2005. http://maenad.dstc.edu.au/papers/2004/iswc2004-rbe.pdf