[SE] Ontology Tools in the Primer Note

From: Uschold, Michael F <michael.f.uschold@boeing.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 11:22:51 -0800
To: "Phil Tetlow" <philip.tetlow@uk.ibm.com>, <ewallace@cme.nist.gov>, <holger@SMI.Stanford.EDU>
Cc: <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>, <schreiber@cs.vu.nl>

There was a discussion at the F2F about possible implicit endorsement of specific ontology tools, such as protégé and semanticworks.

One solution suggested was to include screenshots of all and only open source tools that get reasonable use (I.e. Protégé and Swoop). Commercial tools can be mentioned with references.

It occurs to me that this whole issse is very much a side issue for this note. It is not a note about ontology tools, so it is not important to try and give any comprehensive coverage of the area. Mention of a few tools is sufficient to make the intended point that there are analogous tools to the UML building tools.

M.