Re: [ALL] agenda 19 May telecon 1700 UTC

* Ralph R. Swick <swick@w3.org> [2005-05-19 12:42-0400]

> At 12:44 PM 5/19/2005 +0200, Steve Pepper wrote:
> >* A face-to-face meeting is planned for June 2-3 in Oslo.
> >  An invitation will be posted on the list in the next day or two.
>
> A face-to-face of what, exactly?
>
> W3C face-to-face meetings should have 8 weeks advance notice [1]
> so that potential participants can plan travel and look for the most
> advantageous airfare options.  In principle, this should apply equally
> to Task Force meetings as they are on behalf of the WG.

I agree. With a bit more notice, I could probably have made the Oslo
meeting, or at least one day of it (possibly there on the 3rd for
something else). Oslo's expensive and complicated to get to from here
(BRS), unfortunately. That said, IMHO WG members should feel free to get
together at whatever opportunities arive (eg. XTech next week in
Amsterdam perhaps, for some of us?). But those gatherings shouldn't be
mistaken for meetings of the WG (or one of its taskforces). This seems
to me a necessary part of W3C having an open and fair process. BTW reports
from adhoc non-WG gatherings attended by WG members (including
discussion of specs etc) are useful things to circulate to the WG list,
or even to the wider SW Interest Group community (semantic-web@w3.0rg),
even if the meeting itself is best not considered a WG/TF meeting.

Dan