Re: SWBPD WG Resolution Regarding httpRange-14

On Mar 27, 2005, at 14:20, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> From the point of view of process, and socially, this
> is a curious development.
>
> 1. Briefly, The SWBP WG is not the design authority for HTTP URIs,
> so it not in a position to say MAY about them.

I fear we have expressed ourselves poorly.  It was not the intention of
the SWBPD WG to appear to act as a design authority, nor to say what
others MAY do.  It was our intention to express our position on an open
issue in the hopes of facilitating its resolution.

> It is in a position to take part in the debate.

That is certainly our intention.

> 2. Technically, his is a very far-reaching decision rather than a
> comment on best practices.

Nevertheless, it has immediate implications for best practices and the
work of the SWBPD WG.

> 3. As it stands, the SWBPWG resolution does not resolve the TAG issue.

Nor was it meant to do so.

> The resolution of the issue requires the answering of the questions
> around it in the context of a consistent architecture for the
> Web.
>
> Clearly the SWBPWG has an architecture in mind.
> Could the SWBPWG, in proposing an architecture, like to
> propose an ontology of Web architecture?

The SWBPD WG MAY (pun intended) address such an ontology in the future,
but we had both a desire and a request to put forth our position on
httpRange-14 prior to the next TAG meeting.

> Could they for example please explain, in their
> ontology, semantics of an HTTP 200 response?
>
> Could the SWBPWG please answer also answer the following:
>
> 1. Who was the creator <http://www.w3.org/2005/moby/dick> ?
>
> 2. What is the year of creation of <http://www.w3.org/2005/moby/dick> ?
>
> 3. Who was the creator <http://www.w3.org/2005/moby/xyz> ?
>
> 4. What is the year of creation of <http://www.w3.org/2005/moby/xyz> ?
>
> This is not to say that the is issue is simple, or that the present
> practice
> does not include that the SWBP describes. It asks for a consistent
> and worked out alternative.
>
> I had the hope, after the face-face meeting at the TP, that the
> task the group was taking on was to lay out that architecture.

Regards,
Dave