Re: [rdftm, port, etc] another example: William and Chet

Christopher Welty wrote:

> I think the issue of identification is both important and extremely
> difficult.  I suggest that this is big enough to be a task force in itself.

Any takers for writing a draft TF description? If so, we can put in on
the agenda for the next telecon.

My suugestion would be that, if we think such a TF should be on our
priority list, we start it only after some of the current TFs are finished.

Guus

> -Chris
>
> Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
> IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532     USA
>
> Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.7455
> Email: welty@watson.ibm.com, Web:
> http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty/
>

> Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
> Sent by: public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
>
> 03/07/2005 08:38 PM

> 	public-swbp-wg@w3.org
> cc
>
> Subject
> 	[rdftm, port, etc] another example: William and Chet
>

> Here's an example from FOAF discussions a couple of years ago.
>
> http://swordfish.rdfweb.org/photos/1957/
>
> Libby and I were talking about how best to describe a photo
> which depicted William Loughborough and Chet Baker. By 'best', I mean
> in this case, a way which maximises the chance of semweb-style data
> merging with other sources of information relating to these people. In
> William's case, I might want to read his latest blog posts and email
> messages; in Chet's, I might want more photos, or pages/books about him.
> In both cases, I'd like to download (creative commons-licensed) music
> that relates to them (recordings, cover versions, etc...). For all these
> scenarios, the common problem is identification.
>
> In FOAF/RDF we'd use William's mailbox, homepage etc. That's easy. For
> Chet, we'd need to find another indirect identifier. In
> http://rdfweb.org/pipermail/rdfweb-dev/2003-September/012001.html  Libby
> suggests using a TAP id.
>
> I'd be very interested to see this worked through in a TopicMaps context
> too, as well as SKOS. How should we specify things such that TM data,
> SKOS thesauri, and other RDF datasets can be mixed together in a
> queriable manner?
>
> thanks for any thoughts,
>
> danbri
>
> ps. some links for examples:
>
> Chet Baker in MusicBrainz
> http://www.musicbrainz.org/showartist.html?artistid=4326
> -> http://musicbrainz.org/artistinfo.html?artistid=4326
> ->
> http://mm.musicbrainz.org/mm-2.1/artist/1ba1d493-7114-45e2-b163-a36d49a0c065
>

> Chet Baker in Open Directory (DMoz),
> http://dmoz.org/Arts/Music/Styles/Jazz/Bands_and_Artists/B/Baker,_Chet/
> (which is available in a giant RDF dump that uses a SKOS-like structure)
>
> William's homepage, http://w3.gorge.net/love26/
>
> a document that has him as a foaf:primaryTopic:
> http://rdfweb.org/people/danbri/2002/02/blindless/
>
> basically, it's great having all these kinds of things in RDF, but it'd
> be even better if we could figure out which nodes in these different
> graphs denoted the same thing.
> http://rdfweb.org/mt/foaflog/archives/2003/07/10/12.05.33/ describes
> the OWL-powered approach FOAF uses... I'd like to work thru a
> comparision with Topic Maps and end up in situation where we can
> answer real questions using SPARQL that draw on both kinds of data...

Tel: +31 20 598 7739/7718
E-mail: schreiber@cs.vu.nl
Home page: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~guus/