Re: How to state simple facts in RDF

Dan--

Your reply is interesting, because while I was focusing on the "set" vs.
"property" alternatives, you seem to be focusing on the variants of how
to represent the property values (I was more-or-less lumping all the
property value variants together, and didn't really mean to refer
specifically to using plain literals as property values).  A lot of the
drafts I seem to be seeing from SWBP seem to be focusing on the former
kinds of modeling (which you also find in database modeling practice),
rather than the latter, whereas the latter (particularly the URI vs.
datatype value choices) seem to be more distinctive to the Semantic Web.
  Is there some draft in process that focuses on the value
representation issue (and related issues like associated property names)?

Just to illustrate, this issue recalls part of an answer I gave a while
ago to a comment on the Primer examples, to the effect that the examples
too-often used literals rather than URI-identified resources as property
values:

"Take a Zip code, for example.  Is it best modeled as:

* a URI like usps:01730 (with "usps" representing a prefix officially
defined by the US Postal Service) as the value of a predicate like
ex:postalCode?

* a typed literal like "01730"^^usps:zipcode as the value of the same
predicate (in this case, the USPS is defining a datatype for Zipcodes)?

* the same typed literal, but as the value of a USPS-defined predicate
usps:postalCode (or a corresponding internationally-defined datatype and
predicate)?

* the original plain literal, but as the value of the USPS-defined
predicate?"

And I could go on with other possibilities.  But is there some work
going on to suggest answers to questions like these?

--Frank