(unknown charset) Re: [VM] Telecon today - agenda

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 01:11:00PM +0100, Dan Brickley wrote:
> >3. Implications of TAG decision on httpRange-14
> >   (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Jun/0039.html)
> >   on practice.  Example: Dublin Core, see
> >   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Jun/0079.html.
> >
> >From the brief discussion I saw on a DC list, sounds like
> Purl software might need a tweak to allow different kind
> of HTTP redirection code to be sent out.

Dan is referring to:

Date:         Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:48:38 +0100
Sender:       DCMI Architecture Group <DC-ARCHITECTURE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
From:         Pete Johnston <p.johnston@UKOLN.AC.UK>
Subject: W3C TAG resolution on HTTP URIs and information resources
To:           DC-ARCHITECTURE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

The W3C TAG has reached agreement on the "slash/hash" URI issue here:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Jun/0039.html

So I _think_ this means that for things like "term URIs", given that a
term is not (or is it? See Dan B's follow up on that thread [1]) an
"information resource" [2], the best thing would be for the server to
start returning an HTTP status code 303/redirect?

I'm not sure how this is going to work with PURLs, where it seems to me
we are dependent on what the PURL server does (which seems to be to
return a 302/redirect)?

Having said that, that behaviour is not "wrong" with respect to those
recommendations either, because we aren't returning 200, which would be
indicating that it was an information resource.

Also for URIs like

http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/

even if we had the control over the server response, I'm less sure what
The Right Thing to do would be, because (even after Tom, Patrick and I
had a very long discussion about this last year, and - I think - almost
got to the bottom of it... somewhere round about [3]) I don't think we
(and/or the Usage Board) followed through on clarifying what resource
that URI identifies - an XML Namespace, a "namespace document", a
"namespace" (set of URIs), a "vocabulary" (set of named terms/concepts),
or a "schema" (set of triples)?

I think some of these might be information resources, but others might
not be....

We do have an action to revise the Namespace Policy doc [4] this year,
so hopefully we can clarify it in the course of doing that?

Pete

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Jun/0044.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#def-information-resource
[3] http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0409&L=dc-architecture&P=5235
[4] http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-namespace/

-------
Pete Johnston
Research Officer (Interoperability)
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY, UK
tel: +44 (0)1225 383619    fax: +44 (0)1225 386838
mailto:p.johnston@ukoln.ac.uk
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/p.johnston/

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                      baker@sub.uni-goettingen.de
SUB - Goettingen State                            +49-551-39-3883