(unknown charset) [VM] GET requests on Dublin Core term URIs

From: (unknown charset) Thomas Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:59:18 +0200
To: (unknown charset) SW Best Practices <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>

The TAG resolved:
> > That we provide advice to the community that they may mint "http"
> > URIs for any resource provided that they follow this simple rule for
> > the sake of removing ambiguity:
> >
> >    a) If an "http" resource responds to a GET request with a
> >       2xx response, then the resource identified by that URI
> >       is an information resource;
> >
> >    b) If an "http" resource responds to a GET request with a
> >       303 (See Other) response, then the resource identified
> >       by that URI could be any resource;
> >
> >    c) If an "http" resource responds to a GET request with a
> >       4xx (error) response, then the nature of the resource
> >       is unknown.

How DCMI currently does it:

Dublin Core identifies its terms with "hash" URIs, e.g.:
http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title is the identifier
for Title.  Requests for those URIs are redirected to
a specific historical version of an RDF schema, e.g.,
http://dublincore.org/2003/03/24/dces.

For example, the Purl server running at
http://purl.org translates a GET request for
http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title into a GET request for
http://dublincore.org/2003/03/24/dces#title.  The Apache Web
server running at http://dublincore.org serves up that page
with a status code of 200.

Maybe we could talk about this in the VM conference call at
1300 UTC.

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                      baker@sub.uni-goettingen.de
SUB - Goettingen State                            +49-551-39-3883