[OEP, ALL] nary relations vocabulary

From: Christopher Welty <welty@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:59:47 -0500
To: "SWBPD" <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>
Several people have mentioned a need for a standard way to represent when
an n-ary relation has been turned into a class in OWL or RDF (this is
called "introducting a new class for a relation" in the N-ary note).

The "need" is basically that to support interoperability between OWL/RDF
and other languages and formats that have a native ability to support
n-ary relations, such as CL, KIF, ER, etc., one must be able to recognize
these classes and their instances and translate them into an n-ary
relation.

In a project I am working on with KSL, we have come up with a very simple
vocabulary in OWL that we are using to automatically transform OWL
knoweldge bases into KIF, and I think it would make a suitable solution to
this problem if it were made somehow a "standard" vocabulary.

I'm not sure how to proceed.  We can certainly write a note, but woudl it
make sense to recommend something stronger?

-Chris

Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532     USA

Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.7455
Email: welty@watson.ibm.com, Web:
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty/