RE: [WNET],[OEP] OntoWordNet. A new large OWL ontology

Sorry about the CYC talk. I was mearly using it as a contrast in our sidebar on 'what is a lexical ontology and what is not', ergo I was attempting to express why I felt wordnet IS a lexical ontology and why something, as an exmaple, like CYC is not. Perhaps a dull topic for this list. Anyway, we work with CYC and have not found it lexically useful for our needs yet nor have we found a mapping from it to wordnet synsets in our version. I'll stop the CYC jabber now, however I think its useful to compare and contrast to better understand how to build a successful wordnet OWL model.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Welty [mailto:welty@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Fri 2/25/2005 8:29 AM
To: Govoni, Darren
Cc: Aldo Gangemi; Uschold, Michael F; public-swbp-wg@w3.org; public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
Subject: Spam:RE: [WNET],[OEP] OntoWordNet. A new large OWL ontology

Cyc has a pretty good lexical ontology.  Almost all the cyc terms have a
corresponding set of lexical entries.  Of course the camel-cased names
themselves cannot be used for any kind of lexical information - they are
not intended to be anything other than unique names that convey some
meaning to human readers - but they are linked to an MT that does contain
(usually quite good and reliable) lexical information.  There is also a
mapping in Cyc to WordNet.

I really have no idea why you're mentioning Cyc in this context.  The
discussion should stay focused on Wordnet in OWL.

-Chris

Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532     USA

Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.7455
Email: welty@watson.ibm.com, Web:
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty/

"Govoni, Darren" <DGovoni@mcdonaldbradley.com>
Sent by: public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
02/25/2005 07:37 AM

"Aldo Gangemi" <a.gangemi@istc.cnr.it>, "Uschold, Michael F"
<michael.f.uschold@boeing.com>
cc
<public-swbp-wg@w3.org>
Subject
RE: [WNET],[OEP] OntoWordNet. A new large OWL ontology

I would add that a 'good' lexical ontology adheres to an _internally
consistent_ formal language with formal parsing rules that work across the
ontology. In the case of wordnet, its the english language (ok, I know
about all the grammatical nuances of natural language that could be
inconsistent). Look at something like CYC. Sure, it has concepts that are
_mostly_ human readable, but it by NO means follows a consistent format.
Example. I have an easy concept 'Terrorism'. Its parsable and conforms to
natural language. It's a simple word. You also will find 'TerrorismEvent'
or wierd things like 'DefiningMT', which are not words and do not follow a
strict lexicon or set of parse rules (using camel-case parsing might get
you a long way in CYC, but since its not internally consistent it breaks
at some point). Therefore, I would NOT refer to CYC as a lexical ontology,
even though most of the concepts can be interpreted by a human - its not
without a bit of human processing to decipher them and those rules may
vary.

Darren