	From: Govoni, Darren [mailto:DGovoni@mcdonaldbradley.com]
	Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:52 AM
	To: Uschold, Michael F; Aldo Gangemi; public-swbp-wg@w3.org
	Cc: brian.mcbride@hp.com; welty@us.ibm.com; schreiber@cs.vu.nl;
glottolo@ilc.cnr.it; jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com; swick@w3.org; danbri@w3.org;
guarino@loa-cnr.it; oltramari@loa-cnr.it; ciaramita@loa-cnr.it
	Subject: RE: [WNET],[OEP] OntoWordNet. A new large OWL ontology

	Hi,
	   I haven't chimed in much recently, but I've been working with
WordNet, CYC and various ontologies here at McDonald Bradley for a
while. I even made an OWL version of WordNet about a year ago.

	   To the point on whether Wordnet is an ontology, I offer my
opinion based on this, rather simple definition of ontology (forgetting
where I first learned it). ontology=taxonomy with relations.

	I see WordNet as something of a lexical ontology. I lacks some
of the machine esoteric, existential abstractions that something like
CYC has. Mileage varies on the utility of that, IMO.

	Insomuch as the various OWL models we use manifest in much the
same form (nodes or concepts connected by relations), our WordNet OWL
model is every bit identical in nature to our CYC one. In our graphical
ontology browser, they have exactly the same structure. That is, a graph
(and RDF triples). Hard core ontologists will claim an ontology is a
more formalized class/property/abstraction model (like CYC) whereas
WordNet dismisses generic abstractions in favor of lexical symbols (i.e.
human readble). Personally, I don't find the difference to be terribly
salient. Plato basically posited words to be abstract symbols anyway.

	What we've found is that regardless of what you call it most
ontologies are suitable up to a point before extending, modifying or
mapping them to accomplish a goal is necessary. But that is not really a
measure of 'ontology-ness', IMO.

	Just my thoughts.

	Darren

	Senior Architect