[WNET],[OEP],[PORT] Available Wordnet resources

From: Aldo Gangemi <a.gangemi@istc.cnr.it>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:09:18 +0100
To: public-swbp-wg@w3.org
Cc: michael.f.uschold@boeing.com, brian.mcbride@hp.com, welty@us.ibm.com, schreiber@cs.vu.nl, glottolo@ilc.cnr.it, jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com, swick@w3.org, danbri@w3.org, guarino@loa-cnr.it, oltramari@loa-cnr.it, ciaramita@loa-cnr.it

Hi all,

I have started recollecting what we have so far for the [WNET] TF.
Apart from the OWL datamodel sketched months ago, and a general
outline of the work, nothing new. Hence, I propose new flesh.

I would like to collect first of all the existing attempts at
creating a repository of:

1) OWL datamodels for Wordnet (and for generalised lexical repositories)
2) OWL versions of the Wordnet database, and
3) OWL ontologies that logically encode the Wordnet lexicon.

I propose to refer to these different creatures with the following acronyms:

1) -> OWL-WN-DM (datamodel)
2) -> OWL-WN-DB (database)
3) -> OWL-WN-O (ontology)

The OWL-WN-DM proposed by this TF should be finalized soon.
An interesting proposal has been submitted to me from ISLE, a network
of computational linguists working on a standard for encoding lexical
repositories. Nancy Ide has prepared an rdf version of their
proposal, which I have encoded in OWL, and will be downloaded in the
archive and made available with a dedicated message.
In my view, this TF should make some effort to arrive at a convenient
datamodel for generalized lexica, and the ISLE model can be a good

A list of existing OWL-WN-DB resources is listed in the proposal,
specially including Knowler, made after Wordnet 1.7. A couple of
others have been submitted to me recently, and I will include them

A new OWL-WN-O created at my lab (LOA) will be uploaded as well, and
it's described in a separate message.
I also remember an OWL-WN-O made by Dan (Brickley).

The effort of collecting this material (Ralph, is it possible to
create a page for that? otherwise, I can maintain it at my site)
should lead to a Note that describes the scenario for using OWL
resources for encoding WordNet.

When we have a preliminary repository, I'll contact the experts that
maintain or use Wordnet, and are possibly willing to add other

Aldo Gangemi
Research Scientist
Laboratory for Applied Ontology
Institute for Cognitive Sciences and Technology
National Research Council (ISTC-CNR)
Via Nomentana 56, 00161, Roma, Italy
Tel: +390644161535
Fax: +390644161513

!!! please don't use the old gangemi@ip.rm.cnr.it
address, because it is under spam attack