[WNET],[OEP],[PORT] Available Wordnet resources

From: Aldo Gangemi <a.gangemi@istc.cnr.it>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:09:18 +0100
To: public-swbp-wg@w3.org
Cc: michael.f.uschold@boeing.com, brian.mcbride@hp.com, welty@us.ibm.com, schreiber@cs.vu.nl, glottolo@ilc.cnr.it, jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com, swick@w3.org, danbri@w3.org, guarino@loa-cnr.it, oltramari@loa-cnr.it, ciaramita@loa-cnr.it

Hi all,

I have started recollecting what we have so far for the [WNET] TF.
Apart from the OWL datamodel sketched months ago, and a general
outline of the work, nothing new. Hence, I propose new flesh.

I would like to collect first of all the existing attempts at
creating a repository of:

1) OWL datamodels for Wordnet (and for generalised lexical repositories)
2) OWL versions of the Wordnet database, and
3) OWL ontologies that logically encode the Wordnet lexicon.

I propose to refer to these different creatures with the following acronyms:

1) -> OWL-WN-DM (datamodel)
2) -> OWL-WN-DB (database)
3) -> OWL-WN-O (ontology)

The OWL-WN-DM proposed by this TF should be finalized soon.
An interesting proposal has been submitted to me from ISLE, a network
of computational linguists working on a standard for encoding lexical
repositories. Nancy Ide has prepared an rdf version of their
proposal, which I have encoded in OWL, and will be downloaded in the
archive and made available with a dedicated message.
In my view, this TF should make some effort to arrive at a convenient
datamodel for generalized lexica, and the ISLE model can be a good
start.

A list of existing OWL-WN-DB resources is listed in the proposal,
specially including Knowler, made after Wordnet 1.7. A couple of
others have been submitted to me recently, and I will include them
asap.

A new OWL-WN-O created at my lab (LOA) will be uploaded as well, and
it's described in a separate message.
I also remember an OWL-WN-O made by Dan (Brickley).

The effort of collecting this material (Ralph, is it possible to
create a page for that? otherwise, I can maintain it at my site)
should lead to a Note that describes the scenario for using OWL
resources for encoding WordNet.

When we have a preliminary repository, I'll contact the experts that
maintain or use Wordnet, and are possibly willing to add other
material.

Best
Aldo

--

Aldo Gangemi
Research Scientist

!!! please don't use the old gangemi@ip.rm.cnr.it
address, because it is under spam attack