Re: [OEP] OWL and Semantic interoperability

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 17:28:53 -0500
To: "Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@boeing.com>
Cc: public-swbp-wg@w3.org

for the note is:
>This note addresses the role of OWL in overcoming problems of semantic
>heterogeneity.  We briefly characterize what we mean by semantic
>interoperability, and what the challenges are. We describe some OWL
>constructs that are designed to support semantic interoperability and
>illustrate them with examples. We highlight their strengths and
>limitations.  The main message is that OWL is no silver bullet for the
>general problem of achieving semantic interoperability.  The support
>provided is very limited.  Many of these limitations will be overcome by
>the Semantic Web Rule Language (SWRL) that is currently under

Mike - let me put this in a friendly way -- I don't like this at all.
First of all, when you compare OWL to any of the alternatives it is
way better - If you stopped after the sentence "OWL is no silver
bullet ..." I'd be fine.  However, you go on to say "the support
provided is very limited" which I don't agree with, and which also is
a subjective statement at best.  I would even further object to the
last sentence - first, SWRL has no official status and may not even
be the eventual choice for a standard, second SWRL has not been
tested in interoperability issues, and it is unclear to me why more
expressivity should increase the ability to do reuse -- if anything I
would actually expect the reverse in practice...
  So let's keep this factual and focused, and leave the hypotheticals
out of WG notes
p.s. And in case anyone is interested, I would like to deny in the
strongest possible terms that "The support provided (for
interoperability) in OWL is very limited",  the URI/RDF basis of OWL
makes the sharing of terms possible in a way that no KR langauge in
the past has ever had, and is a good part of the reason that OWL is
now the most used KR langauge in the history of AI.

Professor James Hendler			  Director, Semantic Web and
Agent Technologies
Maryland Information and Network Dynamics Lab.	  301-405-2696
8400 Baltimore Ave, Suite 200			  301-314-9734 (Fax)
College Park, MD 20742	 		  http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler