Re: [OEP] Simple Part-Whole Relations - draft 1

From: Christopher Welty <welty@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:52:35 -0500
To: Alan Rector <rector@cs.man.ac.uk>
Cc: Fabien Gandon <Fabien.Gandon@sophia.inria.fr>, best-practice <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>, public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
I'd prefer to leave the geographical containment off this note.  It is at
best debateable to call "geographical/spatial modeling" a use case for
part of.

Pat has committed to working on a note on space - and it should be clear
that is a better place for it.

Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532     USA
Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.7455
Email: welty@watson.ibm.com, Web:

Alan Rector <rector@cs.man.ac.uk>
Sent by: public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
01/27/2005 10:05 PM

Fabien Gandon <Fabien.Gandon@sophia.inria.fr>
best-practice <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>
Re: [OEP] Simple Part-Whole Relations - draft 1

Thanks for the comments.

.  I'll tidy things up.

Obviously the "All As part of some Bs" should be that it doesn't imply
"All Bs
have part some A.".
That is a serious typo and needs fixing as soon as I am back where I can
a new copy.  I must
have been asleep.  The other things will get fixed in due course when I
have a
good list of typos
and suggestions for rewording.

I didn't include geographical containment in this version - but should
have put
it on the to do list.  Geogrpahical entities are individuals, and although
poses no theoretical problem, to get a version to work with Racer or
requires care.  I'd probably rather make that a separate addendum.  I
didn't want to hold up the main note while I did it.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Alan L Rector
Professor of Medical Informatics
Department of Computer Science