Re: [SKOS, SPARQL, ALL] Closure and SPARQL

>On 12 Dec 2005, at 11:49, Christoffel Dhaen wrote:
>>Thatıs all. RDF is a graph, it has native
>>transitive properties. Being able to express in
>>query that only the direct nodes should be
>>taken into account, or that the transitive
>>nature of the properties has to be taken into
>>account is a logical step. No more, no less.
>
>At this point it is not clear to me anymore what you want :-)
>
>1) if you want, e.g., to ask for the
>"descendant" property if you have only the
>"child" property in the graph, then you need the
>abiltiy to express the transitive closure of a
>property in the query language. This has a cost,
>and current SPARQL does not handle this.
>
>2) if you want to distinguish in a query between
>"stated" transitive properties from "derived"
>transitive properties, then you need a different
>mechanism. This would be the case of existing
>transitive properties in RDFS; e.g., subClass:
>if there is a graph "(a subClass b)(b subClass
>c)" whenever you ask for "(X subClass c)" you
>want to get the answer "X=b" as being somehow
>directly stated as opposed to the answer "X=a"
>as being somehow derived. This distinction is
>possible according to the latest discussions in
>the DAWG: if you make the query "(X subClass c)"
>by requiring only "simple RDf entailment" you
>get the answer set {X=b}, while if you require
>"RDF entailment" you get the answer set {X=b,
>X=a}.

Actually you need RDFS entailment to get this,
but I agree with your basic point.

(RDF entailment just gets you the XMLLiteral
datatype and type-checking of properties, so that
if you query
?X rdf:type rdf:Property
you will get back all the property labels in the graph.)

>"simple RDf entailment" and "RDf entailment" are
>defined in the RDF MT semantics W3C document.
>
>Does this characterise your request?
>
>cheers
>--e.

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell