From: McBride, Brian [mailto:brian.mcbride@hp.com]
Sent: donderdag 8 december 2005 1:29
To: Christoffel Dhaen; Christopher Welty
Cc: public-swbp-wg@w3.org; public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
Subject: RE: [SKOS, SPARQL, ALL] Closure and SPARQL

Hi Christoffel,

> Most KR systems indeed offer the option to query for both,
> but I must say I always assumed a SPARQL query would support
> transitive closure, hence would return the logical result
> instead of only directly asserted results.

I'd like to be sure what you mean here, because I've got a category
error on the way you have expressed it.  I'm assuming you mean that
SPARQL should allow a query to express a query on the transitive closure
of a property.

> If both are required, the graph could solve it, but why not
> add the option in the query instead of having to query 2
> graphs. A direct result might be requested as SELECT DIRECT
> ?x ?y And the logical result might be requested as SELECT ALL ?x ?y

I don't *know* why DAWG have not included this functionality.  It could
be that many SPARQL implementations are expected to be built over SQL
databases which do not directly support the computation of transitive
closure.

But I don't think "why not" is the right question.  I think "Why" is the
right question, where the question should be grounded in existing SWBP
work.  The requisite functionality is supportable.  I tend to agree that
it might be nice to be able to express the query directly in SPARQL but
I'm not sure what the implementation cost would be and I'm pretty sure
DAWG will have considerd this.

What we are working up to here is a comment to DAWG.  Roughly we might
say one of:

  1. nothing
  2. we think it would be desirable, but not essential to express
t.closure in SPARQL
  3. we think it is essential to express t.closure in SPARQL.

To 2 we might add that we if they choose not to support it, then there
might be some best practices on handling transitive properties as a
result.

> Which one should be default is debatable, but it seems to me
> that a lot of applications may only be interested in the
> logical result of the query. The option to query only direct
> is also very valuable to browse the graph (or parts of it),
> which can be used, amongst other things, in DS-systems, or
> search-engines (refine query).
>
> Adding a second Closure equivalent of the property would only
> make querying more complicated, unless a standard to do this
> is defined.

I guess I was suggesting that a best practice, rather than a standard,
might be desirable.

Brian