RE: [PORT] Proposed management process for SKOS Core

Hi all,

Tom has said to me that he is happy with the process model outlined in [1].

Mark Van Assem sent me some comments on [1], and raised the concern that the model proposed gives too much power to the reviewers - reviewers could possibly veto changes in opposition to strong consensus within the public-esw-thes community.

I agree with Mark's concern, but I don't know how else the SKOS Core documents can get W3C Public Working Draft status.  The problem is how to fit SKOS Core into the W3C process, without sacrificing the principle that anyone may become actively involved in SKOS Core development at any time via the public-esw-thes mailing list, and that consensus on that mailing list is the primary driver for change.

Ralph has some specific concerns, which I'll try and address below.

I'd also like to wait until Danbri comments on this before proposing anything concrete, but in the meantime here is a revised proposal for a SKOS Core management process:

Proposal for SKOS Core Management Process (version 0.2):
---

(1) The WG periodically reviews the 'SKOS Core Guide' and 'SKOS Core Vocabulary Specification' and publishes new Public Working Draft versions of these documents after each review.

(2) In the interim period between Public Working Draft versions, no changes may be made to the SKOS Core Vocabulary.  Hence the SKOS Core Vocabulary RDF/OWL description will not be changed during the interim period.

(3) In the interim period between Public Working Draft versions, the delegated SKOS Core editors (myself and Danbri) will maintain a public list of proposed changes to the SKOS Core Vocabulary.

(4) Proposed changes to SKOS Core must be added to the public list at least 2 weeks before a scheduled WG review, to allow the wider community to comment and to raise objections.

(5) At each subsequent review, the reviewers delegated by the WG may of course review the SKOS Core Guide and the SKOS Core Vocabulary Specification in their entirety.  However, the focus of each review will be to evaluate the list of proposed changes.

(6) Those changes approved by the reviewers, or approved in a modified form after negotiation with the reviewers, will be implemented by the editors.  New Public Working Draft versions of the SKOS Core Guide and SKOS Core Vocabulary Specification will then be published by the WG.

Also, what about a review every 2 months instead of 3?

That's all for now,

Al.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2005Apr/0016.html

---