Re: [VM] Scoping Draft with questions to TF members $swbpd

Just a comment, as I see it there are two options:

(1) Generating an OWL ontology from a thesaurus.

(2) Generating an RDF description of a thesaurus.

(1) May often (although not always) be desirable.  However, class/instance
semantics are almost always implicit in a thesaurus (and can be inappropriate)
=> (1) usually requires significant manual labour.

(2) Means using an RDF vocabulary that accurately expresses the explicit (and
potentially fuzzy) semantics of a thesaurus (and hence can be AUTOMATICALLY
captured from an existing serialisation of a thesaurus).

I think (2) is the first goal, enabling us to generate lots of RDF thesauri very
cheaply.  Also N.B. there are many scenarios in which RDF based applications
working on this type of data can provide important services and facilities to
thesaurus users that are currently unavailable or expensive to produce.  (I.e.
thesaurus user community will get alot out of (2)).

(1) Can be explored for various thesauri, weighing the cost of converting to OWL
ontology against the potential utility.  I expect that the outcome will differ
from case to case, and will depend largely on the precise intended use of the
thesaurus.

Al.

--
Alistair Miles