RE: NI contact re: XQuery & DAWG

Jeff

Many thanks for such an inspired response to my somewhat clumsy thoughts. I
think that you have managed to encapsulate to number of very important
issues here that require genuine open debate within a number of communities
in our industry – not just the W3C working groups. Having the conviction to
willingly collate and communicate such opinions indeed deserves recognition
and credit.

I agree with most of your points and, in particular, would like to
reinforce:-

-     Right or wrong, good or bad, there still needs to be a common base
from which real-world user communities can start to investigate and utilise
the benefits now afforded by the Semantic Web. Hence, I also think that the
DAWG charter has hit the right spot. Maybe XQuery is not the ideal straw
man, but it is definitely one of the strongest competitors in the race.
Building a pragmatic base from foundations that have already been proven
and experienced mass market take-up appears absolute common sense to me.
This should not, however, constrain work moving forward in new fields of
technical endeavour that are more closely aligned with purist
interpretations of underlying technologies.
-     Does this ‘base’ necessarily need the blessing of organisations like
the W3C? I guess only time will tell. Nevertheless, naivety aside, I
consider that supporting the principle and spirit behind a number of
‘non-gold-standard’ Semantic Web technologies should be a very valid agenda
item, so long as those vendors involved are prepared to follow
appropriately open protocols and decorum.
-     Perhaps I am still somewhat unique in having experienced real world
demand for ‘industrial strength’ Semantic Web technologies, but the need is
still very real and, from where I’m currently standing, appears to be
picking up momentum fast. For this reason there seems an urgent need for
those who can make a difference in our profession to send out some strong
collective guidance to a range of user communities. Is this a job for
organisations like the W3C alone? I’m personally not sure, but I agree that
lack of significant vendor participation – for whatever reasons – in
appropriate standards initiatives may well work against us all in the long
run. I am resigned, for now, to concede that we are were we are!

Finally I absolutely sign up to your grey view of the world and also
believe that when industry, academics, and standards bodies work
synergistically - great things can happen. I also hope that our exchanges
over the past couple of days will encourage other W3C members to comment. I
feel sure that there are still some interesting opinions that have not yet
been voiced, but which could matter a great deal.

Kind regards
Phil Tetlow
Senior Consultant
IBM Business Consulting Services
Mobile. (+44) 7740 923328

             "Jeff Pollock"
             <Jeff.Pollock@net
             workinference.com                                          To
             >                         Phil Tetlow/UK/IBM@IBMGB
                                                                        cc
             13/10/2004 19:14          "SWBPD" <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>,
                                       <eric@w3.org>,
                                       <craig.gannon@carbacle.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: NI contact re: XQuery & DAWG

Phil-

Thank you for your thoughtful reply and your willingness to share the topic
of discussion more broadly.

Like you, we at NI view the standardization efforts for a query language
specification as being of the utmost importance to the broader Semantic Web
initiatives. In my honest opinion, there is more than a passing resemblance
to ANSI SQL efforts in the early 90's. Like SQL92 did for relational
systems, someday a query specification will unify fractured implementations
and ease the adoption risk for commercial buyers of the Semantic Web stack.

SPARQL/DAWG, on its current path, will not unify the Semantic Web stack,
nor provide the launchpad for widespread adoption of the broader vision.

Arguably, the DAWG never had had such a grand charter - to unify and align
fractured SW specifications with opaque relationships to one another. DAWG
is almost entirely concerned with an RDF triples "database interrogation
patterns."

However, the DAWG charter does/did have *some* alignment and unification
goals in mind: (from DAWG charter) "There is a requirement for RDF data to
be accessible within an XML Query context. [...]While the data model of the
query language of this protocol is dissimilar to that of XQuery, a non-XML
concrete syntax might reuse syntactic elements from XQuery to aid learning
time, even if XQuery is not chosen as the strawman."

Regardless of nits about the DAWG initiative, and the resulting SPARQL,
which I will spare you a litany of critiques on - I'd rather focus on the
positive points for why NI's position on XQuery is indeed better for the
industry as a whole.

First, from a "what's good for the end user" perspective:
* those who want to adopt, but lack confidence in supportability
* those who have tools with XQuery interfaces today
* those who have XML centric initiatives they want to build upon
* those who want to adopt SW, but don't want to retrain
* those who have fought for, and won, the XML migration battle

Second, from a "what's good for the W3C" perspective:
* create a semblance of consistency & unification for the SW stack
* adhere to layered guidelines (grammar separate from algebras)
* create a common façade to entire SW stack
* improve adoptability by wider community
* recognize vendor & customer investments in XQuery to date

Third, from a "what's good for the systems integrator" perspective:
* SI's using XQuery based middleware tools
* SI's using XQuery based XML repository technology
* SI's who have trained thousands of developers on XQuery
* SI's who have pushed for XML-centric SOA customer solutions
* SI's who are already coping with too many one-off languages

Fourth, from a "what's good for the vendor community" perspective:
* ISV's who want to protect their past investments in XQuery
* ISV's who don't want the market further confused by query "noise"
* ISV's who want to implement consistent interfaces to data layers
* ISV's who want to use OWL alongside RDF and XML

Now, there are nuanced arguments that can be (and have been) made about
XQuery alignment with RDF data structures (triples, not taxonomies), and
there are concessions that will be trumpeted as a form of support (XML
result sets), and there can be debates about community support levels (SQL
not XQuery) -- but these all miss the point.

The point is that there are a variety of data formats in the SW stack (XML,
RDF, OWL, and rules all have fundamentally different theoretic formalisms)
and that there a wide variety of different usage patterns for SW
technologies (databases, application servers, middleware, repositories,
registries, content aggregators, search tools, etc.) and that there is
obviously no one single query algebra/model that can meet the needs of such
a diverse array of formalisms and usage patterns.

BUT, we CAN agree to use a common GRAMMAR!

As it turns out, the built-in mechanisms for extensibility of the XQuery
grammar are a near-perfect fit for overlaying variant underlying algebras -
NI has shown how this could work in our XQuery grammar proposal to DAWG -
not to mention all other good reasons identified in points 1-4 above.

Phil, you appropriately point out the deep divide here between the "purist
view" of the world vs. the "pragmatists view" of the world. Personally, I
am most interested in how to make the snowball (of adoption) roll faster --
I believe that SW alignment with XQuery grammars is one of the best things
that we as a community can do to advance that cause.

You also point out the distinction between what standards efforts are good
for vs. what industry alliances good for. I don't think the distinction is
as black and white for me. In principle, I believe that when industry,
academics, and standards bodies work synergistically - that great things
can happen.

Unfortunately, this is not happening within DAWG.

For instance, why aren't Oracle, Microsoft, Software AG, BEA, IBM, or
others working in this group? It seems to me that the software marketplace
has invested hundreds of millions, if not billions, on the W3C XQuery
initiatives - all of the vendors mentioned above are shipping products and
training people on XQuery today. I would think that they should have an
interest in a new - non XQuery compatible - query standard coming from
within the W3C. I would also think that DAWG and the W3C would be more
interested in gaining consensus from vendors who have invested fortunes in
query standard efforts for XML, which is in fact the bottom layer of the SW
stack.

Network Inference supports an XQuery grammar interface to OWL, and more
broadly, for the rest of the stack including XML, RDF and a future rules
specification. This is our position, it is above-board, and it is based on
solid technical, business, and community interests and rationale.

Thanks again for the opportunity to restate our thoughts on the matter, I
look forward to an ongoing discussion - either in public or in private.

Warm Regards,

-Jeff-