From: Phil Tetlow [mailto:philip.tetlow@uk.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 3:47 AM
To: Uschold, Michael F
Cc: Christopher Welty; public-swbp-wg@w3.org; noy@SMI.Stanford.EDU
Subject: RE: [OEP,ALL] Potential topics for OEP notes $swbpd

Michael,

OK, fine, I agree that this is a good place to start and am enthused about
the journey on which we may well be about to travel. I am, however, nervous
about your phrase 'things that need to be done in order for the problem to
be solved', in relation to semantic integration. I'm not so sure this is a
'solvable' problem. Personally I have the opinion that this is an area that
may embody many solutions, none or all of which may well be definitive. All
we can do is comment on their suitability from a standards perspective and
provide direction for those who choose to travel with us.

Please forgive my wording, I'm a big fan of analogies!

Many thanks for the workshop URL. I feel a few days of bedtime reading
coming on.

FYI, I have recently put some thoughts together on dynamic integration
methods that I would be more than happy to share with the WG once they have
been published through the appropriate internal IBM channels. I am told by
our alphaWorks guys that this should be before our F2F next month.

Kind regards

Phil Tetlow
Senior Consultant
IBM Business Consulting Services
Mobile. (+44) 7740 923328

             "Uschold, Michael
             F"
             <michael.f.uschol                                          To
             d@boeing.com>             Phil Tetlow/UK/IBM@IBMGB
             public-swbp-wg-re         "Christopher Welty"
             quest@w3.org              <welty@us.ibm.com>,
                                       <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>,
                                       <noy@SMI.Stanford.EDU>
             13/10/2004 01:17                                      Subject
                                       RE: [OEP,ALL] Potential topics for
                                       OEP notes  $swbpd

Thanks for your input, Phil.
Here is a possible title and outline of what we might produce:

TITLE: Semantic Interoperability and Integration

GOALS/OUTLINE:
*            Define the problem in a concise way.  Provide a glimpse of a
framework for understanding the emerging field. Do some level setting on
basic concepts and terms such as: interoperability vs. integration,
mapping notations, translation, merging/alignment.
*            Describe and give examples of what can be done today (Some
simple things can be done using OWL-Same-As, and OWL-Equivalent for
example)
*            Outline briefly some of the things that need to be done in
order for the problem to be solved in the longer term. For example, the
most basic mapping from one schema/ontology to another may require some
functional operations such as concat (joining firstname and lastname to a
full name) and arithmetic (for units conversions)
*            Conclude that this is an active research area with no body of
practice to work from.

We have a wealth of material to work with from a recent week-long workshop
on the topic that Natasha also attended: http://www.dagstuhl.de/04391/

Mike Uschold