RE: Semantic Web and Software Engineering Task Force $swbp

YOu're welcome. I forwarded some of these messages to Holger, who works at Stanford. Natasha knows him well, so he may be able to contribute tot his workign gropu.

MIke

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Tetlow [mailto:philip.tetlow@uk.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 8:42 AM
To: SWBPD
Subject: Fw: Semantic Web and Software Engineering Task Force $swbp

             Phil
             Tetlow/UK/IBM
             12/11/2004 03:00          "Uschold, Michael F"
                                       <michael.f.uschold@boeing.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>, "Jeff Pan"
                                       <pan@cs.man.ac.uk>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Semantic Web and Software
                                       Engineering Task Force  $swbp
                                       (Document link: Phil Tetlow)

Michael,

Many thanks for this reference. I will read the paper with great interest.
I'm sure we both agree that there is a great deal of latent interest in the
Semantic Web within a number of more 'traditional' Software Engineering
circles.

As a point of interest, one of by IBM colleagues is also involved in a
piece of work very similar to that outlined in the abstract below.

These are very interesting times!

Kind regards

Phil Tetlow
Senior Consultant
IBM Business Consulting Services
Mobile. (+44) 7740 923328

             "Uschold, Michael
             F"
             <michael.f.uschol                                          To
             d@boeing.com>             Phil Tetlow/UK/IBM@IBMGB,
                                       <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>, "Jeff Pan"
             11/11/2004 18:39          <pan@cs.man.ac.uk>
                                                                        cc
                                       "Butler, Keith A"
                                       <keith.a.butler@pss.boeing.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Semantic Web and Software
                                       Engineering Task Force  $swbp

I just came across an excellent paper that will be good fodder for such a
working group:
http://smi-web.stanford.edu/people/holger/publications/MDSW2004.pdf

Ontology-Driven Software Development
in the Context of the Semantic Web:
An Example Scenario with Prot´eg´e/OWL
Holger Knublauch
Stanford Medical Informatics, Stanford University, CA
holger@smi.stanford.edu
Abstract
Recent efforts towards the Semantic Web vision have lead to a number of
standards such as OWL and Web Service languages. While these standards
provide a technical infrastructure, software developers have little
guidance on how to build real-world Semantic Web applications. Based on a
realistic application scenario, we present some initial thoughts on a
software architecture and a development methodology forWeb services and
agents for the SemanticWeb. This architecture is driven by formal domain
models (ontologies). The methodology applies best practices from agile
development methodologies, including systematic tests, short feedback
loops, and close involvement of domain experts. We illustrate how
these techniques can be put into practice using the modern Semantic Web
development tool Prot´eg´e, and indicate future possibilities.

==

There is a whole community called "Automated Software Engineering" which is
relevant. ALso, the OMG Model-Driven Architecture is quite relevant. The
latter is discussed in the above paper.

Good search terms include "ontology-driven" and one or more of:
"information systems"
"software engineering"
"software development"   etc.

Mike