Re: [XSCH] possible note skectch

From: Jeff Pan <pan@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 15:39:49 -0000
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "SWBPD" <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>

On Wednesday, October 27, 2004 3:08 PM,  Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> I have done a first pass at a note,
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2004Oct/att-0049/xsh-sw-note.html
> this is very rough and ready but shows the sort of ground I would like
> to cover.
> I hope to polish it a little tomorrow getting some of the links into place.
> I'm hoping that during the F2F we can identify what is missing, and then
> post F2F to get it up to publishable quality.

Here are a few comments/suggestions on the current draft. As the current draft is mainly a rough outline, the wording "... is unclear" in the following comments should be read as suggestions for further versions of the draft.

1) User defined datatypes:

- We should provide more details on why the DAML+OIL solution is a non-standard approach to fragID and why the id solution is only partially endorsed by RFC XMLMIMETYPE.

- Example: we can modify the datatype name "foo" as "adultAge" if we replace 1700 with 18.

2) Comparison of values

- We should present the current XML Schema solution before the three "new" solutions. Furthermore, we should compare RDF datatypes with XML Schema datatypes in order to make the situation clear.

- The motivation of the "all primitive types different" solution is unclear.

- It is not clear how the XPath 2.0 eq operator solve the problem.

- We should provide a section about DL reasoning and datatypes, and then discuss its relations with the three "new" solutions.

Greetings,
Jeff

--
Jeff Z. Pan  ( http://DL-Web.man.ac.uk/ )
School of Computer Science, The University of Manchester