Re: [OEP] Draft of a note on n-ary relations

Natasha Noy wrote:

> People seem to have agreed that doing a pattern on n-ary (reified)
> relations would be a useful thing to have. Alan Rector and I actually
> had a chance to work it out and you can see the first draft  of our
> effort at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2004May/att-0003/n-
> aryRelations.html
>
> It's nowhere near as complicated or as controversial (we hope) as the
> Classes as Values one. In fact, it's rather simple, almost too simple
> to be a pattern.

Simple design patterns are better than complicated ones. I think this
looks useful.

> On the other hand, it seems to be on a topic that many
> newcomers to OWL have questions on.
>
> As usual, please feel free to poke holes in it and all feedback is
> welcome.

Two comments:

1) I think it would be worth showing this design pattern also just with
RDFS, and hence broadening the scope of this note to
[[
In OWL *and RDF*, a property is a binary relation: it links two
individuals or an individual and a value. How do we represent relations
among more than two individuals?
]]
(basically this would use global range and domain constraints to achieve
some of the effect)

2) I winced somewhat at the use of the words "reify" and "reified"
RDF reification is, to me at least, a bit of a mess, and use of these
words will make the RDF literate reader think of RDF reification. I
realise that the use in this note is appropriate, and in some ways not
actually different from RDF reification of statements. However, I think
there is potential for confusion "What has all this got to do with
reification?" - for me the best fix would be to use a different term in
this note.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Natasha and Alan

Jeremy