[XSCH] was Re: [ALL] Requirements for updating OWL -- was FAQ : Constraints on data values range

Uschold, Michael F wrote:
> Alan is now suggesting that to this we add another task, which naturally
> follows: what things CANNOT be done easily or conveniently or AT ALL
> using OWL. This can then be fed back to [?WHO?] at the W3C as
> requirements for extensions/updates to OWL.

Alan:
> I'd like to come in just to say that in a recent set of travels and
> discussions with potential users of OWL, the inability to express
> numeric constraints involving inequalities for things such as "Big
> Wheel" etc. is a big problem.  Virtual all my biomedical examples
> require normal values, value ranges, etc. which need this kind of
> expressiveness .

It is in scope for the XML Schema Datatypes TF to address the specific
issue of how to (slightly) increase the expressivity of RDF and OWL to
permit user-defined datatypes (and hence at least a minimal solution to
the big wheel problem).

Quite how to deploy that solution (in terms of the standards) is yet to
be determined ... since there was support for issuing a first datatypes
note that raised the questions, I think this is a plausible question to
ask the community at that point.

Personally, if the necessary changes to any recs were small, I would
favour errata against the current recs. That might not fly ... another
option might be to have a rec track doc ourselves; or simply to record
the consensus and await the next revision of RDF, OWL and/or XML Schema
to deploy this consensus within the Rec track.

Without having thought about it much, I think small errata is the
simplest path, but might meet opposition, and having a rec track doc
ourselves would be a mistake. This might leave us with simply
documenting the current position and suggested changes (which seems to
be Mike's position)

I would be nervous about generalizing this - e.g. QCC were considered by
webont and rejected, I would be very uncomfortable with this group
revisiting that - whereas the user-defined datatypes issue was desired
by both RDF Core and WebOnt, but we did not have the effort to put into
resolving the problems (i.e. to coordinate adequately with XML Schema
WG, and to make sure that any solution for these problems in RDF and OWL
does not interfere poorly with work they are doing)

Jeremy