Re: Database schema in OWL

Thanks for your question, Daniela. In the WonderWeb project
http://wonderweb.semanticweb.org we have built a use case to show
good translation practices from db (conceptual or logical) schemas to
ontologies (also with help of automatic tools). We should put an
online report asap about that. See below for an example.

At 12:04 -0300 7-06-2004, Daniela F. Brauner wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Can someone help me with description of a simple database schema to OWL?
>What is the best way to describe it??
>
>Imagine that we have these simple database: (P.S.:assume # to represent PK
>and & to FK)
>
>Students (#id,name,&courseId)
>Course(#id,name,&deptId)
>Department(#id,name,&deptId)

The problem with these logical schemas is that some elements are not
relevant from an ontological viewpoint, but they concern database
functioning. Identifiers, specially as fk, are typically so.

A good practice for your schema would be (quickly quickly):

Class(Students partial
  restriction(hasCourse someValuesFrom Course))
Class(Course partial
  restriction(hasDept someValuesFrom Department))
Class(Department)
ObjectProperty(hasCourse
  domain(Students)
  range(Course))
ObjectProperty(hasDept
  domain(Course)
  range(Department))

In other words, identifers that are just there for indexing purpose
are not really "ontological" (although you can obviously represent
them in OWL as restrictions on datatype properties), while names can
be used as class names. Moreover, whenever there is a clear link
between a "name" and a fk, then you can introduce a property that has
appropriate domain and range restrictions, and use it to create one
or more someValuesFrom restriction(s).

There are other practices concerning the way properties and classes
should introduced as subclasses or subproperties of existing,
reference ontologies, but this goes beyond what you're asking for.

Good luck
Aldo

>Thanks a lot!
>

>---

Aldo Gangemi
Research Scientist
Laboratory for Applied Ontology
Institute for Cognitive Sciences and Technology
National Research Council (ISTC-CNR)
Via Nomentana 56, 00161, Roma, Italy
Tel: +390644161535
Fax: +3906824737