Re: WordNet Task Force - work outline

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:01:07 +0100
To: SWBPD list <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>

Fwd from www-archive

-------- Original Message --------
From: Morten Frederiksen <morten@wasab.dk>
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Subject: Re: WordNet Task Force - work outline
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 19:57:16 +0200
Hi Jeremy,

[This is in reply to a post on swbp-wg, I'm not a member, so...]

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 17:35, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> This use of WordNet is fairly naive (in the sense that non-experts can do
> it) and does not depend on any of the relationships between words.
You are of course right, that the standalone usage that Norm is doing doesn't
depend on any relationships, but it is quite possible to do so.

Matt Biddulph has been doing this for a while, for his picture annotations
(unfortunately the search thingy is down atm, pending a wordnet upgrade):

http://www.hackdiary.com/archives/000009.html
http://www.hackdiary.com/cats.html#wordnet

This approach does use the subclass relationships of the wordnet RDF mapping
- it may not be perfect from a linguistic or semantic standpoint, but I think
it's a good start.

Regards,
Morten
http://purl.org/net/morten/