RE: [OPEN] and/or [PORT] : a practical question

Marco has made some excellent suggestions here!

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of NANNI Marco FTRD/DMI/SOP
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 12:23 AM
To: Aldo Gangemi; Ian Horrocks
Cc: Guus Schreiber; SWBPD list; Nicola Guarino; claudio.masolo@ladseb.pd.cnr.it
Subject: RE: [OPEN] and/or [PORT] : a practical question

Aldo Gangemi writes
>I agree, from my experience most uses of metaclasses result from insufficient
>domain analysis. I think that insufficient
>analysis is responsible for many other
>simplifications, even in the use of the subClass
>relation or in the representation of qualities in
> flat value spaces (cf. Guus' message).
>Low-detailed domain analysis is sometimes due to
> a desire of economicity,
Hello,

The Question (i prefer question than problem) of uses of metaclasses in the analysis phase
is an old one and it's not a SW specific topic.
A lot of litterature has been produced during years on this topic but :
        - the question seems to be still opened
        - i'm pretty sure that analysts/programmers all around the world will continue to use classes as instances
        For these points i ask myself the question : why people continue to uses classes as instances despite of all this litterature, concrete examples, good arguments ?
                - perhpas because it is important in their context and that it is the only solution,the good one to solve their problem. After all, who can pretend to know all the problems in the world and for each what is the good way to solve (describe) them,
                - perhaps because, even if we can prove that it's a wrong way, Aldo, Ian and all the members of this group (except me) are experts and most of people are not.
        - "a desire of economicity" : this desire is each day more irrepressible in some contexts

So, why this group would be more successfull in the task of discovering THE magic formula to express general rules in such a way that in front of an analysis problem at least 80% of analysts  will clearly and quickly understand that what they do is wrong?
Perhaps that one good thing to do (among other of course), as it has been pointed out by other people in this WG, would be to have a list of concrete points both "real world storytelling" based  (cf.Dan Brickley) and theorically based. This list could be structured like this :

                Introduction :
                 What you can find in these Guide that you can't find in an user manual, a Tutorial, an Academical Course, a High level methodology for the building of KB,.... :

                                - A list of well known and critical (from our point of view) decision points in a SW project lifecycle for which, we think that knowing the exact consequences of the choices you can do, can be very fruitful for you .
                                All the following points have been already experimented in real project or are direct consequences of the nature of the tools you use.

        Analysis phase :
                "Point xxx : using classes as instances is not a wrong way in its own but BE CAREFUL if you really  want or need to use this "style" here are the known problem you can (are sure to) encounter :
                        - some reasoning problem : for example if you intend to use your ontology/documents or annotations to do some classification tasks....
                        - some interoperability problems :
                To help you ,here are some well known examples where there is a way to avoid the use of classes as instances :
                                1) Design pattern1
                                2) Design pattern 2
                Point yyy : defining more than n level of subclassing is not a wrong way in its own but BE CAREFUL if you really  want or need to use this "style" here are the known problem you can (are sure to) encounter :
                        To help you here are some well known examples where there is a way to translate a n-depth-level Ontology in a m-level-Ontology (m<n) :
                                1) Design pattern1
                                2) Design pattern 2
                Point zzz : There is potentially no limit in the number of classes you can define in an Ontology but BE CAREFUL if you really  want or need to use this "style" here are the known problem you can (are sure to) encounter :
                        To help you here are some all ready experimented solutions to split an Ontology which have been used with succes :
                                1) Example 1 :
                                        Context :
                                        Initial Ontology :
                                        result :
                                                        Benefits :
                                                        loss :
Perhaps that we could define a thematic index to help a reader to explore the list of points.
                Analysis Phase :
                        Pefomance points :
                                Point x, Point y, Point z
                        Interoperability points :