From: Jim Hendler [mailto:hendler@cs.umd.edu]
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 5:40 AM
To: Uschold, Michael F; Christopher Welty; Jeremy Carroll
Cc: Bernard Vatant; Ian Horrocks; SWBPD; public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
Subject: RE: philosophy of SWBPD (was Re: [OPEN] and/or [PORT] : a
practical question)

At 23:33 -0800 3/24/04, Uschold, Michael F wrote:
Jim makes a good point, and it is most valid in those cases when
alternate approaches will work well. But that is not always the case,
and there are many gray areas. When there ARE clear arguments for or
against a given modeling choice, then I believe it IS the role of this
group to identify commonly arising BAD ways to model things and
recommend to avoid them, as well as to recommend GOOD ways to do certain
kinds of things.   We should avoid taking positions UNLESS there are
clear arguments one way or the other, and as Jim says, indicate the
consequences of decisions, so users can choose what will work best in
their particular circumstances.

MIke

while I don't disagree, let me be clear -- it is rarely the case that
one thing is right and one is wrong in the capital letter sense that
Mike uses GOOD and BAD -- I don't mind educating in the few cases there
may be, but I'm gonna be awfully hard to convince that somehow the way
we built closed-world, generall small ontologies in the traditional AI
systems is going to be the noly GOOD way to build them on the Semantic
Web -- in fact, in teaching SW to my students, I'm learning new lessons
all the time that counter how I've been teaching things in my AI courses
for the last 28 years
 -JH
--
Professor James Hendler