From: public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of NANNI Marco
FTRD/DMI/SOP
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 8:40 AM
To: Aditya A Kalyanpur; McBride, Brian
Cc: public-swbp-wg@w3.org
Subject: RE: On a possible role for the applications and demos task
force

Hi,
To continue on this way, i think that Web-accessible distributed
applications developpers and ABOVE ALL people wich have not only to
decide what technical solutions will be used but ABOVE ALL to convince
the "cash dispensers" that we really need SW to increase something
(number of users, quality of service,...) with a real ROI, NEED some
"flashing" and sexy examples.
For example, it's very difficult for me to convince my big Information
System  department
to accept to deploy SW application for internals users (and I don't even
speak about externals one!!!!) only with paper and words.Does anybody
has really read some documents from projects like OntoWeb, and others. I
don't think that a lot of "basic" readers have succeed in the challenge
to read entirely the guidelines. :-)
What they want to see/hear  is for example :
        "Here is an already existing, running, deployed and very
(critical) important service/application developped without SW technics,
and now here is THE SAME one
with SW technics. As you CAN SEE i can offer these new features only
thanks to SWT
and these old ones are more valuable etc..."
Perhaps that we also can consider such a point : even if a SW
application is not
developped according to the RESEARCH AREA agreed theorical guidelines
describing
the BEST way to use all the features of a language for example (OWL,
RDFS), I think we have, atleast  for this task, to present the global
benefits we can have without being to much rigourous accepting perhaps
such not very "beautiful" applications.
I know that it's only a very basic and low level point of view, i'm
sorry (and industrial user point of view i think) but it would be a good
thing for me to find a demo presenting things in such a way. I don't say
that this is the only important output i need but i would like to be
sure i could find atleast this output.
So, perhaps i missed something but : do we have defined or choosen the
"profile" of the potential readers for all our outputs (documents or
demos)?
If "basic" readers are not in the scope of the WG ok, it's not a problem
but
if the scope is only readers already aware with SWT perhaps that they
don't really need
too much formal "instructions" because they already can find such
instructions elsewhere
Anyway  do you think we  can find two versions of the same "application"
:
                - one without SWT
                - the same with SWT
        I know it will be very difficult to find already existing,
running, deployed and very (critical) important service/applications but
let's try atleast to find and already existing, running, deployed  and
perhaps simple applciation.
Best regards ,
MArco NANNI