W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-swbp-wg@w3.org > January to March 2004

draft Minutes 18 Mar

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:52:13 +0100
To: <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>
Cc: <connolly@w3.org>, <Mark.Birbeck@x-port.net>
Message-ID: <BHEGLCKMOHGLGNOKPGHDOEOACCAA.jjc@hpl.hp.com>


Scribe notes:
1) I have been relatively informal through-out, using first names
except for roll call.  If anyone would rather be minuted with
any other name e.g. "Prof. James Hendler" please let me know
and I will send out amended minutes. Also, unless people complain
my case behaviour with names is random.

2) Each ACTION appears twice, once in the summary, and once
in the detail - I had a strong objection to this in WebOnt,
so used a different format for that group. Personally I prefer it
this way, but again if anyone doesn't like it, I will make
appropriate amendments.

3) I don't know Ivan's sirname.

4) Did Bijan attend the RDF/XHTML part, or was he only on IRC?

5) Mark is the correct XML.com link
(Simon St. Laurent review of Mar. 10)?
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4553


Minutes follow ...
=================================
SWBPD WG Telecon 18 March 2004, 1500Z

Summary
(new actions)
ACTION: Ralph talk with Guus and create a strall poll form for meeting times
ACTION: Guus to propose a format for TF description
(the following depend on the above)
  ACTION: JimH write description of WorldView TF
  ACTION: ChrisW write description of OPEN TF
  ACTION: aldo describe Wordnet TF
ACTION: danbri get rdf-thes contacts from Guus
ACTION: aldo e-mail WordNet update to mailing list
ACTION: guus read bernard's e-mail with draft TMAP msg
ACTION: guus to finalize TMAP e-mail, notify cg, and send out msg
ACTION: danC to send mail requesting feedback on RDF/XHTML & GRDDL to both
lists.

(continued actions)
ACTION DanBri: investigate publication of Turtle as SWIG note
ACTION ChrisW present his time ontology in the next telecon
ACTION DanBri: ask SemWeb CG about constraints and advice re WD, Note, etc.

(decisions)
RESOLVED: contact Topic Maps as in bernard's e-mail

Also:
The Chair suggests that everyone sends an introduction to list.
Ralph will edit the list of Task Forces. (a new document)

Agenda:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2004JanMar/0069
IRC:
http://www.w3.org/2004/03/18-swbp-irc


Detail:
1. ADMINISTRIVIA (10 min)

Role call:
  Chris Welty,
  Ralph Switck,
  Jim Hendler,
  Aditya Kalyanpur,
  Dan Brickley,
  David Norheim,
  Libby Miller,
  Ivan ???,
  Natasha Noy,
  Jen Golbeck,
  Brian McBride,
  Bernard Vatant,
  Shimizu Noboru,
  Deb McGuinness,
  Guus Schreiber (chair),
  Nick Gibbins,
  Jermey Carroll (scribe),
  Dan Connolly,
  Mark Birbeck,
  Aldo Gangemi
Regrets: Marco Nanni,

RESOLVED to accept the minutes of the Cannes kickoff ftf:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2004JanMar/0067.html

Amended to show Deb's remote attendence.

Thanks to people who attended kickoff.
The Chair suggests that everyone sends an introduction to list.


RESOVED: next telecon date 1 April
Long discussion about time of telecon:
(selected comments)
  Deb: this time is very difficult for me.
  Ralph: I concur with Deb's concern, since the F2F was not representative.
  Jim: an alternating time is difficult to schedule for me.
  Shimizu: it's impossible to satisfy everybody - I prefer one time
  Chris: with alternating times some people can only participate once a
month
  Deb: once a month is better than zero times a month
*No* time for next telecon decided.

ACTION: Ralph talk with Guus and create a strall poll form for meeting times

2. ACTION ITEM REVIEW (5min)

Completed actions:

ACTION: danbri send msg to public-esw-thes letting them know BDP WG is
considering work in thes2rdf area
ACTION GuusS asking JimH whether he's wanting to coordinate "Worldview
Note" TF
ACTION JJC: send to the WG list an example of using www-archive (and perhaps
some relevant advice)
ACTION RalphS: add attachment policies to list archive cover page
W3C Guidelines for Email Attachment Formats
ACTION Guus: forward some tips for scribes (from Dan to webont)
ACTION: Bernard to draft a message to be sent from this WG to ISO Topic Maps
community for discussion at an upcoming teleconference

Continued Actions:
ACTION DanB: investigate publication of Turtle as SWIG note
ACTION ChrisW present his time ontology in the next telecon
ACTION DanBri: ask SemWeb CG about constraints and advice re WD, Note, etc.


3  TASK FORCES


3.1 Task force list (taken after 3.1(a))

Guus presented:
[[
Proposal to create and maintain a WG task-force list, in a similar
spirit as a regylar issue list. To discuss:
- format task-foce description
- list maintenance / editor
- process similar to issue process: proposed, "opned" (i.e. strated),
   proposal to close (e.g. WG noet), close/postponed
]]

The TF list contains the mission and expected results of each TF,
and the TF membership while the TF is live.
Ralph volunteered to edit this list.
Brian asked for discussion of his e-mail concerning issues
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2004JanMar/0082
(chair did not allow time)

3.2 Discussion on selected task forces


(a) World-view note - explain diff owl, rdf, xml etc.

JimH: two themes WorldView about SemWeb (e.g. rdf vs owl)
or               WorldView about Web vs SemWeb (e.g. xml vs rdf)
This could be one document or two.
So far, Deb and Brian are in the TF with Jim (lead)
Possibles: Pat Hayes, Frank van Harmaleen
David Norheim is interested.

  ACTION: JimH write description of WorldView TF

(b) Demos and applications
No coordinator, no TF ...
There remained interest but no one willing to coordinate this TF.


(c) Porting thesaurii to the Web
DanBri reported "Not much to report ..."
ACTION: danbri get rdf-thes contacts from Guus



(d) Ontology Patterns and Engineering
(ChrisW, DebM)
Chris felt it was a waste of WG time to discuss acronym.
Tf may meet independently on that.
E-mail should go through the WG list.

Chris asked how to work (ie html, wiki ...)
  The W3C encourages use of CVS, WG members can get
CVS write access to pages held on www.w3.org.
  Can also send msgs to www-archive@w3.org and w3c-archive@w3.org
for documenting archiving.
  There is a Wiki we can use: http://esw.w3.org/topic/
  DanC pointed out that using a Wiki is encouraging other people
to write, which may be inapprorpriate for a TF


(e) WordNet ontology conversion support
(AldoG)
FOllowing people expressed interest
 { Alberto Reggiori, Libby }
Aldo gave an update, which the scribe failed to summarized.
Aldo gave an update again after the XHTML TF agendum: the
scribe remained confused - here are some notes:
  The TF will review previous work and contact people
  who have done ports. e.g. Steffan Decker. It will
  contact someone in Switzerland, and someone in
  Princeton. There was discussion about the commercial
  terms of Euro Wordnet.

ACTION: aldo e-mail WordNet update to mailing list
   (e.g. a clearer version of the scribe's muddle)
ACTION: aldo describe Wordnet TF



(f) Link to TopicMaps
(Bernard proposed sending, seconded by Jeremy)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2004JanMar/0081

ACTION: guus read bernard's e-mail with draft TMAP msg
ACTION: guus to finalize TMAP e-mail, notify cg, and send out msg
RESOLVED: contact Topic Maps as in bernard's e-mail


3.3 RDF-XHTML task force (20 min)
(current lead DanC:
"I'm willing to lead, but would be happier
for somebody else to lead")

Mark Birbeck and Dan Connolly joined for this section.

Jeremy has sent a review of Mark's work:
Jeremy: I like it. I raised a number of technical details.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2004Mar/0004

The XHTML WG are commited.

Mark mentioned an XML.com review:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4553
This review did not understand motivations, problems, or constraints.

DanC suggested the GRDDL background doc as perhaps useful
for Mark in explaining these issues.

DanC asked who are the customers: Dublin Core, AKT, Foaf
Nick: AKT has had to solve this problem;
      we want a single solution.

ACTION: danC to send mail requesting feedback on RDF/XHTML & GRDDL to both
lists.
Received on Friday, 19 March 2004 09:53:00 EST

This archive was generated by hypermail pre-2.1.9 : Friday, 19 March 2004 09:53:02 EST