Re: Tech Plenary: agenda Best Practices

i agree that we should not give instruction from on high.
At the same time, I think it is important to have more examples of how
ontologies have been written in semantic web languages and used in some
applications that people might relate to.
We do not need to present the work as religious doctrine  but instead
present it as something that we have done after considering other
options, optimally present some other options and say what the tradeoffs
were, and then give examples from which people might be motivated (or
even cut and paste) and build their own.

The "living with classic paper"  was a very early attempt to do
something like this.  It provided a methodology that we used for
building an ontology that was used in the wine and food domain.

It tried not to say this is the only way or even the best way   but it
did try to say, here are some tradeoffs and here is what we did and it
worked.

--
 Deborah L. McGuinness
 Associate Director Knowledge Systems Laboratory