RE: [PORT] including conversion methodology in proposed notes?

Hi Guus,

I was very impressed by the conversion methodology in the Amsterdam paper
[1], and think it is ideal for dealing with things like MeSH and Wordnet.

However I do have some reservations about this methodology when working with
the average thesaurus (which is structurally quite close to the ISO2788
standard) ...

1. In my experience most thesaurus users and administrators have barely even
heard of RDF or the semantic web, and are only just getting to grips with
XML.  The methodology in [1] requires a fairly intimate understanding of
RDF.  Its elegance will be completely lost on 99% of readers.  Also I think
our first motivation should be to 'get people through the door'.  If this is
the first thing they read in the shop window, they'll go someplace else
because it takes too much effort to understand it.

2. The thesaurus community currently has no widely adopted machine readable
representation format.  There is a void there.  By making the SKOS Core RDF
representation as accessible as possible, we can fill that void.  SKOS Core
can be sold to the thesaurus community as a simple representation format,
without really needing to explain the extra cool stuff they can do by being
a part of the semantic web (although that is always there as extra
incentive).  We publish more in depth documentation to cope with the
complexity (and opportunity) that comes along with the semantic web only
later, after the 'boat has sailed'.

I guess I could paraphrase all this by saying 'let's keep things as simple
as humanly possible,' and 'take one step at a time.'

I strongly suggest that the proposed 'Guide to Using SKOS Core for Thesauri'
note be aimed at an audience with little or no understanding of RDF.  So I
do think there could be a place for a 'conversion methodology' section in
that note, but we would have to think very carefully about what to put in
it, i.e. how to keep it accessible.

Yours,

Alistair.

---